Karyl's Reviews > Hurry Down Sunshine

Hurry Down Sunshine by Michael  Greenberg

Oct 28, 2011

Read from October 28 to 31, 2011

In the summer of 1996, Greenberg's 15-year-old daughter Sally becomes mired in an episode of psychosis, severe enough to warrant her hospitalization. We are treated to glimpses of life inside a mental hospital, to the realization that even doctors are baffled by mental illness, to the love a man has for his daughter. Other reviewers have said that this book focuses too much on Greenberg himself, but it's his memoir about how all this affected him. His blunt honesty is so refreshing. Greenberg himself is not a very likeable man at times; during this incredibly stressful time he attacks his wife, but he makes no excuses for his terrible behavior, and neither does he attempt to brush it under the rug. He is so lost and at sea as to how to deal with Sally's illness, and he's unsure of how best to be her advocate. But how many of us could watch our children deteriorate to such a degree and handle it any better?

It would be incredibly interesting to read an account of Sally's experiences, to see psychosis as someone experiencing it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurry Down Sunshine.

Kassie Ok, I finished this last night. It was so revealing and personal and unflattering and lovely at the same time. I found myself just cringing while reading it and wondering what I would do as a parent in Greenberg's situation. This had to be even more impactful for you since you have two daughters.

Karyl I actually didn't think of it that way since my girls are still so small. I was so wrapped up in his life that I didn't really apply it to my own. But I was amazed, and grateful in a way, by his sheer honesty. I related more to Sally herself, as the summer of 1996 was an important one for me. I went to Kenya on a mission trip with my church, so while she battled these demons, I was in a whole other country, just a couple of years older than her.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, for lack of a better word.