Marilag's Reviews > Tithe

Oct 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads, modern, fairy-tale, fantasy, young-adult, female-leads
Read from October 28 to 31, 2011

I have a bias against urban fantasy mostly because I don't really care much for emotional teenagers getting their clammy, addle-minded hands on the beautiful and equally frightful faery world. That said, I understand the young-adult appeal to Holly Black's attempt at relating to today's teens (I feel so old saying that!).

But--and yes, there is a big but--I actually liked the book. Well, the faery-business part of the book. The Seelie and Unseelie court and the ritual of Samhain with the Seven-Year-Tithe/King/whathaveyou were nicely depicted, and there were some characters I actually enjoyed. I hated Kaye, but I loved Roiben. Really didn't care about Janet, but loved the kelpie and the respective rulers of the Seelie and Unseelie. Hated the human world and loved the natural world of the fey.

So you see my predicament here. If Tithe had been a story with Roiben as the main character, I doubt that many people would have found that appealing. Personally, I would have. I suppose one needed an outsider's eyes to see the events unfolding. Though I am rather tired of those kinds of stories (years of Japanese games have further disillusioned me). I do admit Kaye proved useful at the end, but by how much is a huge question.

The book did get better, but after a couple of hundred of pages in. For something that isn't epic fantasy, I'm not sure that's all too good of a thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tithe.

10/31/2011 page 331