Sarah's Reviews > Wingbound

Wingbound by Heather Trim

bookshelves: 2018, angels, fantasy

I'm a little mad at myself for not reading this sooner because once I started reading it, I really couldn't stop! Full review to come soon :)

FULL REVIEW:

I’m going to try to keep this whole review mostly spoiler free!

A short little summary: Ledger lives in a village where an island floating in the sky full of winged people passes by once a year. He befriends one of the winged Ellerians and meets with her every year, despite the hatred and violence between their people. One year, the island shows up empty, so Ledger and his friends set out to find out what happened to the winged people by travelling to the island of Ellery.

I had a little bit of trouble getting into this book initially since I usually have a hard time reading anything in a male’s point of view, but once I got a few chapters in, I seriously could not stop reading! I thought the idea of a floating island was very cool and unique, so that was why I initially wanted to read this book, and it didn’t disappoint. The island was so cool 😊 I didn’t really have any concrete ideas about what the story would be like, but it really surprised me. I thought it would be more of a quest, but it seemed a little more dystopian to me since our little ragtag team was just trying to survive on the floating island. What ended up happening to the Ellerians totally shocked me. I did think that the story overall was a little rushed, but the book was on the shorter side and it didn’t really detract from my enjoyment of the story.

Ledger did get on my nerves sometimes, but in general, I liked him because he was realistic. I loved that he didn’t really care what society thought and that he wasn’t afraid to break traditions to do what he thought was right. He wasn’t going to let the prejudice of his town stop him from finding his friend. I thought his relationship with Hollis developed very naturally. It was interesting to see him kind of struggle to choose between the ideal version of Alouette that he had in his head versus the things he was feeling toward Hollis, who was always by his side. Alouette was not in most of the book, but after the ending, I honestly don’t trust her, but I am ready to see more of her! I thought Tolliver was interesting, though his big secret kind of came out of nowhere to me, but it did address something I wanted to know (trying to avoid spoilers is so hard omg). Kava and Angus didn’t really get enough development for me to really feel either way about them to be honest.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story!! And I’m dying to know what happens next after such a dramatic cliffhanger!

Plot: ★★★★☆
Writing: ★★★★☆
Characters: ★★★☆☆
Setting: ★★★★★
Enjoyment factor: ★★★★★

I was sent this book in exchange for a review, so thank you Heather! Also, I’m not very good at putting thoughts into words, so there were definitely some things I didn’t mention because I didn’t know how to convey my ideas without this being like 100 times longer lol

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wingbound.

February 5, 2018 – Shelved