Nat's Reviews > Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

Mar 10, 2007

Just reread this in my tiny guest bedroom in Oxford. It's funnier than I remembered it, and captures the anxieties of a junior academic with gut churning accuracy. I have dreams that are like the climactic lecture collapse.

December 2014 update: Reread again. Contains a lot more military metaphors and references to WWII than I remember. The feeling of suspense before the climactic lecture is still intense.

Also worth noting is the amount that Jim Dixon reports drinking when he leaves the Welchs' party to go to the pub ("seven or eight" pints, plus half a bottle of port once he gets back), and the amount he has to drink before giving his speech on "Merrie England" (by my count: five sherries, six "measures" of whiskey, and two slugs from Gore-Urquhart's flask).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky Jim.

March 10, 2007 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 1, 2007 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kai (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

Kai Gross Reread this book this past summer. So perfectly observed, no paltry comment from me could possibly do it justice. Essential reading for anyone who has ever been to a university. Or attended school. Or lived.

message 2: by Nat (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nat I'm teaching a moral philosophy course this summer at the U of C. We read Hume and Kant, and a couple of novels. Usually people assign some Jane Austen or Heart of Darkness or Billy Budd, which is perfectly reasonable and probably works well. But I want to assign some 20th century fiction--I was thinking of assigning Lucky Jim. What else should I assign?