Schizanthus's Reviews > The Way I Feel

The Way I Feel by Janan Cain

bookshelves: i-love-my-library

This book has all the feels! Well, a lot of them anyway. If I had a kidlet this is the book I’d be choosing to explore feelings with them to help them distinguish one from another.

I love that there’s no judgement about having a specific feeling and that no feeling is labelled either good or bad. Taking us on a poetic journey through silly, scared, disappointed, happy, sad, angry, thankful, frustrated, shy, bored, excited, jealous and proud, Janan Cain has created a wonderful tool to help kidlets to be able to identify their own and others’ feelings.

Janan’s illustrations really exemplify what each feeling can look like. From the colours used in the scene to the expressions on the kid’s faces and the font used to name the feeling, along with the scene itself, each illustration captures the feeling brilliantly.

I think my favourite illustration is the excited one. You can see the person “bouncing like a rubber ball”, with starbursts where they’ve landed. The colours are bright and the excited word with its multicoloured letters and funky squiggles looks like it too wants to jump off the page. Maybe I like this one because I’m well known for my jumping up and down excited moments, but it’s a fun feeling and like all of the other illustrations it’s gorgeous.

There’s even a page for parents at the end of the book to help guide discussions with their child about their feelings.

I found this book at my local library (yay libraries!). I’m definitely going to make a point of telling my librarians how cool this book is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way I Feel.

February 5, 2018 – Started Reading
February 5, 2018 – Shelved
February 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tam (new)

Tam May It seems like this would be a good book for writers also, since we don't always come up with the best descriptions about what feelings look like in writing. So seeing it visually could help a lot!
Tam

Schizanthus That’s a really interesting idea, Tam. I hadn’t thought of it that way but you may be onto something! 😃