Blue's Reviews > Snow & Rose

Snow & Rose by Emily Winfield Martin

bookshelves: fiction

This is most definitely a story within the lives of the characters, a chapter. That does fit fairy-tales, minus the 'happily ever after,' but the beginning summarises the previous life chapter and it is referenced, so I did need to pause at the end for my brain to tidy the end up as this was truely between being a fairytale and being a novel.

I would say this book would be cute as a bedtime story, but might want to avoid it for elementary school grades, then it is of-age for middle grade through into adult. There are horror elements that needs an adult or some time to really see, with child-level fear and solutions that are suitable for middle-grade.

The story was completely driven by sisters without sister-power or some such device - it used contrasting personalities and their bond that pulled them together as if attached by a stretchy band to move the plot without seeming to rely on it. This is the story of sisterhood Disney needed. Frozen was nice and all, but it wasn't the Snow Queen at all - that was friendship/platonic-love and a far scarier look into monsters. Although, I don't think that art style would work. For this the style of hand-sketched with the screen panning/moving on a stationary image or with frames of movement with obvious gaps might be best - the art school projects found on youtube under 'cute animation'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow & Rose.

February 4, 2018 – Shelved