Jackie's Reviews > At the Edge of the Universe

At the Edge of the Universe by Shaun David Hutchinson

bookshelves: my-heart-hurts

JUST POSTED MY FULL REVIEW (this is a first omg y'all better appreciate my efforts)

this was my first book by shaun david hutchinson and holy shit, i wasn‘t ready.

i found myself being able to relate to the characters a lot (especially calvin) and reading this book was a very heavy and emotional experience for me because it dealt with things that i went/go through as well.

content warnings for depression, self-harm, drugs, rape, domestic violence and child abuse.

i never expected to like or relate to this book as much as i did. the author managed to depict mental illness in such a raw and honest manner and i don't think i've ever come across characters that i could relate to so much in terms of their emotions and views of themselves. i believe the author himself suffers from depression (which makes this an #OWNVOICES book) and it clearly showed in the realness of the characters.

calvin is the one character that my heart was weeping for. he's already suffered through SO MUCH at such a young age and i'm so sad for him. i could see myself in him in so many ways especially when it came to his depression because we seem to have very similar coping and defense mechanisms and i just wanted to hug him and tell him it's all gonna be OKAY :(

this book very much focuses on the dark and negative sides of mental illness which made it a very heavy and difficult read at times (i had to pause several times to take a breath and clear my head), but it doesn't make it any less important.

yes, i love reading books where characters deal with their mental illness in a healthy way and it's good to have positive and hopeful endings that remind you not to succumb to your mental illness, that focus on moving forward... but it's just as important to show the negative sides. to make people realise that things might not always be all happy-sunshine-rainbowland. that things get bad. to force people to pay attention, to know the signs.

i think shaun david hutcherson did a beautiful job with this story and i want to give him all the stars and awards.

it's also worth noting that this book features a genderfluid character that goes by both he and she pronouns and an asexual (side) character. and don't forget the gay kids who apparently live in seperate universes now!

the only thing i disliked about this book was the fact that it took me a while to get into it because i didn't really know where the story was going, but i ended up flying through it within two days (also because i read this on Riveted and TIME WAS RUNNING OUT)

OH AND THE ENDING KINDA BOTHERS ME. WHYYYY. no spoilers but i'm so unsatisfied.

btw is anyone else thinking of Even from Skam when looking at the cover?? i swear the guy is wearing the exact same outfit that Even used to wear in the show

overall, i definitely enjoyed this book a lot and i think hutchinson is a brilliant writer. i'll definitely read more of his works (especially if they're as raw and honest and GAY as this one).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Edge of the Universe.

February 4, 2018 – Shelved