David Ellis's Reviews > Keys of the Origin

Keys of the Origin by Melissa A. Joy

Fantasy fans rejoice - this is a wonderful experience for you to embrace, a well-realised world to completely lose yourself in!

When it comes to extremely well-realised exquisitely detailed fantasy environments, situations and adventures, this book takes the cake, biscuit and everything else in between. I was extremely impressed at how the narrative itself unfurled, keeping me totally engaged with a fine balance of both male and female protagonists, all the while continually adding depth and colour to a vast sprawling world of cultures and characters that I genuinely wanted to know more about throughout the book.

I thought it was a fantastic idea to have 'Nays' characters speak in their own tongue at times and then have this translated, so that you felt like you were privy to conversations from another realm but you were specifically given insight into their meaning too. This never felt forced, just completely natural (the language itself is extremely convincing when read aloud) and this drew me into the novel right from the beginning, as if I were personally living and breathing within this unique domain.

There is a map, along with a glossary in the back of the book to help you get to grips with the scale of the settings, surroundings and its inhabitants, along with assisting you as to how to pronounce the words of certain places, people and cultural terms relevant to the races of characters themselves, which for me made the whole experience all the more immersive. I ended up feeling like a mortal traveller who had been given the honour of experiencing a guided tour into the wondrous, exhilarating vistas inhabited by both the heroes and the villains.

My favourite parts that I enjoyed the most were the pirate and swashbuckling elements with Captain Larkh at sea (the author mentions her passions for tall ships and sailing, which clearly comes across in her authentic descriptions of the nautical elements of her tales). There are however many other layers/facets in the story on land to explore and appreciate further, with multiple plotlines crackling and fizzing in the background all coming together in one glorious whole by the time all of the players in this beautiful orchestra are made known to us. Everyone and everything plays a key part in this fantastic and mesmerising journey and when I reached the climax at the end, I was sad to have gotten there knowing it was the end (I've spent a very long time admiring this world and the characters that inhabit it) but I was also extremely excited knowing that there is potential growing for further volumes in this series. This book ends on a very satisfying cliffhanger (I'm not saying anything about it, as I don't want to spoil the overall experience for the reader) but suffice to say, it certainly leaves enough mystery and intrigue to have me caring about where the story will go next in the future.

This is a heady, intellectual powerhouse of a book that deserves to have its own TV series like Games of Thrones.

I look forward to how the plot unfolds and which exciting directions the author goes next with the series, as we will learn even more about The Keys of Origin and the trials and tribulations they will face as they fulfil their destinies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keys of the Origin.

Started Reading