Jennifer's Reviews > The Truth About Forever

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

bookshelves: ya-contemporary
Read 2 times. Last read November 2017 to December 2017.

*No spoilers here!*

This was not my first Sarah Dessen book, but it's probably my favorite. I'll be honest. I tend to view long books, especially in YA, with apprehension because I'm afraid there will be too much filler. Some other reviewers did feel this way with TTAF, but I'm of the opposite camp. What attracts me to Dessen's writing is her ability to weave a vibrant, realistic story with characters that could've been pulled from your life, though of course maybe dramatized in some way. That's what she's done here (again) with Macy, her mom, sister Caroline, love interest Wes, new friends from her summer Kristy, Monica, and Burt. You get the picture. I felt the length here was justified to give enough color to Macy's backstory (recounting when her father was alive, the recurring "gifts" that keep showing up on her doorstep) and set her up for her character's growth throughout the book. Most of the detail is necessary for understand her or other major figures in her life, like her mom, so please bear with it if it feels like it's dragging.

As for the ending? Wow, so much emotional payoff! While there are lots of readers who wanted to see more of Macy's now-happier life, I appreciate how the ending just leaves us with her turning a corner. Personally, it's more satisfying for me to imagine what'll happen than to have all the resolution of angst explained to me. Hope that makes sense!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Forever.

Finished Reading