Liviu's Reviews > The Master of Heathcrest Hall

The Master of Heathcrest Hall by Galen Beckett

bookshelves: 2012_release_read, genre-fantasy, read_2012

Another fantasy series ending (3rd in 2012 after Percepliquis and Daemon Prism) that was a huge, huge asap and while i enjoyed it and would recommend it, it just did not blow me away as earlier novels in the series.

In this one I still loved the language and the setting is still great, but somehow Ivy who was undoubtedly the star of the first two novels, loses a little her distinctiveness and centrality to the novel and while I did not mind that much having Rafferdy and Eldyn Garitt as the main stars, the book lost some luster for me there. Another issue I had was the acceleration of action as the earlier novels worked better at a slower pace where dialogue and setting counted for more since once frantic action starts the fantasy part of the world building starts being exposed as quite shallow.

Also the "everything explained, all i's dotted and t's crossed" that seems to afflict series ending these days are present here and there were quite a few "yawn" rather than "oh, what" moments there too.

I will have a full review in a few weeks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master of Heathcrest Hall.

October 28, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
February 19, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012_release_read
February 19, 2012 – Shelved as: genre-fantasy
February 19, 2012 – Shelved as: read_2012
February 19, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Claire Oh. I'm really looking forward to this so the review has made me a trifle apprehensive now.

Liviu I hope you like it; the style is the same and a lot happens