Amber's Reviews > My Year of Living Fearlessly

My Year of Living Fearlessly by Amber Karlins

In compliance with FTC guidelines, I am disclosing in this review that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I applaud Ms. Karlins for her year of living fearlessly and moreso for writing and publishing a book about it. That being said at times I was personally a little disappointed in what "challenges" constituted "living fearlessly." Despite sharing a first name and being separated by only a few years in age I often felt that I couldn't be more different from the author. I sincerely hope that after this project and at least a dozen times of following the pattern "I realize I am irrationally afraid of X, let me do X, oh hey X isn't so bad when I get out of my own head and enjoy life," that the author is no longer caught in her "small life" as her mother puts it. My largest complaint with the text other than the "smallness" and repetitiveness of the fearless living tasks is just how privileged and entitled the author can seem at times. Despite her complaints about money she manages to drive around the greater part of Florida and make trips to New Orleans and Atlanta all while engaging in a number of expensive "camps" and purchased "experiences." I mostly wanted to root for Amber to succeed in her quest to live with less fear, but I often found myself rolling my eyes at her anxiety and whining over the seemingly smallest things and also sighing as her helicopter mother stepped in to bail her out of her minor discomfort yet again. Even though it wasn't the ideal book for me I appreciate the author's humor and I'm planning on gifting my copy to a particularly neurotic friend who could benefit from seeing someone else get beyond challenges such as a fear of making crepes. Oh and also I did pick up a good gift idea for my boyfriend! Bottom line on the book for me was it was mostly more entertaining than annoying but not my cup of tea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year of Living Fearlessly.

October 28, 2011 – Shelved