Joy's Reviews > Lord of the Abyss / Desert Warrior

Lord of the Abyss / Desert Warrior by Nalini Singh

Oct 27, 2011

bookshelves: adult-fiction, adventure, fantasy, magic, medieval, netgalley, paranormal-romance, weres-shifters

I think that this was my favourite in the series. Nalini's writing style is just my cup of tea :) The kinks were ironed out, the seams mended, and one heck of a romance unfolded between the lost prince and the ugly blood sorcerer's daughter.

I liked the setting change in Lord of the Abyss. The Black Castle was mysterious and full of danger. But having Lily choose to be there gave the story a whole new depth. Which brings me to the other thing I liked, the difference in Micah in comparison to his siblings. In the other three books the child of Elden is in need of saving, of someone to make them stronger or set them free - but Micah is this bad-ass Dark Lord with so much power and all he needs is to remember who he is.

I loved the relationship that Lily and Micah form in the book, especially with both of them being so used to rejection and learning to accept the others attention. I thought the play off of Cinderella was subtle in the story, and I had more of the feel that Lily was both Cinderella and the stepsisters and it gave a great dynamic to the story - hated and ugly, with an evil father and an absent mother, never chosen for who she was, and fighting to race the timepiece before it hits midnight - genius!

I'm still reading Desert Warrior (the bonus story paired in with Lord of the Abyss) and will update my review after I'm finished with it but I wanted to review the last of the Royal House of Shadows separately. It was a great read and really rounded out the series for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Abyss / Desert Warrior.