Melissa's Reviews > Wingbound

Wingbound by Heather Trim

Wingbound is a relatable coming-of-age story set in an imaginative world with vibrant characters.

As children, Ledger and Alouette meet and become unlikely friends. Ledger is the son of an earthbound blacksmith, on track to become a soldier who will defend his people from the raiding winged people of Ellery, among whom Alouette lives. Each harvest, Ellery--a floating mountain which orbits the planet--passes over Ledger's village, and the winged people fly down to battle and take a portion of the village stores of food. As Ledger's family fights Alouette's people year after year, the children's friendship deepens--until one harvest, Ellery passes over the village, and no one comes down.

Worried something terrible has happened to the young woman he has grown to care for, Ledger leaves the village. With the help of his brother and a few friends, Ledger sets out on the floating mountain to find Alouette and his winged enemies. But the flight up to the floating mountain in the sky is only the beginning of the adventure.

Along the way, Ledger and his friends are challenged and tested in a number of ways. If they are to survive, they must leave behind their childhood, overcome their weaknesses, and work together, despite differences in perspectives, temperaments, and goals.

Wingbound contains some of my favorite fantasy elements--a new world, new cultures, adventure, danger, triumph, true-to-life characters, humor, romance, and dragons. I found myself thinking about the story when I wasn't reading and was always happy to step back into the world Trim creates. Trim's wit and understanding of human nature and personalities adds depth and richness to Ledger's journey into manhood. I look forward to the next installment of the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wingbound.

Finished Reading