Allison's Reviews > Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron

F 50x66
Oct 27, 2011

First of all, I really enjoyed this book just because of the fact that it reminded me so much of "Catcher in the Rye,". Another great part of this book is that the main character is a teen, sarcastic, witty and easy to relate to-making reading this book fun. Being able to see things through James' point of view made the book feel more realistic and I actually felt sorry for him after a while. Also, The storytelling aspect of this book and the way the timeline jumps between dates helps keep the story interesting and kept me feeling involved. Personally, I feel the author captured the mindset of a teenager perfectly. The tone and humor match the characteristic of any young adult I know, which added a hint of believability. This book is a perfect coming-of-age story and great for teens. My favourite part of the book by far was when Jame's pulled his "prank" on John. I loved the way it showed James' vulnerability and at the same time his cynical sense of humor. All together, this was a great, humorous book with wonderfully witty (yet realistic) characters and a fantastic plot, and I would recommend it to anyone I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You.