Elizabeth's Reviews > Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

bookshelves: 2018-favorites, young-adult, contemporary, diverse, totally-in-love

AGHGHGH - I don't think I could EVER do this book justice. It is everything I can even ask for in a contemporary, diverse, YA book.
Just so many feels! And I'm trying to hold back. Really, I am.

But this book made me cry, laugh, cry some more, and feel SO MUCH.

description

Seriously, are book even allowed to be this heartstopping???

First, I'm going to say this book opened my eyes to how good diversity should be written. Not watered down, not manipulated, not just hinted around with. Actual, real diversity. Authentic characters.

Speaking of characters, let's just talk about them. Actually flail and scream about them.
description

Simon Oh, my word, Simon. He's amazing. I love his voice, his emotions, his humor.
His story kept me on the edge of my seat. I loved watching him fall in love, it made me cry. To be so close, yet so far away from something you love. I wanted him to find Blue, to not be cheated out of his love.

Leah - I am so excited about Leah on the Offbeat! SHe was seriously such an amazing friend and I wanted more with her! Please, more Leah!!! Also, I want to hear her band!!!

Simon's Parents - Ok, most YA sucks at writing parents. But I loved Simon's parents. They weren't over the top, out of sight, or too cringey. They were normal. And I just adored his family. Also, please, can all parents be as supportive???
(view spoiler)

Nick and Abby! - Oh, my goodness. These two are sooooooo precious. I need more Abby! She was so supportive of Simon and just the BEST friend, ever. Nick is also incredible. I want to hear him play the guitar.

Nora - Can I please have a sister just like Nora??? I'm really hoping she shows up a lot in Leah on the Offbeat
Also, Simon and Harry Potter. And Nora's zero chill about it. (And the shoutout to Harry/Draco fanfiction)

“What’s a dementor?”
I mean, I can’t even. “Nora, you are no longer my sister.”
“So it’s some Harry Potter thing,” she says.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, other rambling fangirling moments.
I loved, loved, loved reading about Simon growing in his confidence in WHO HE IS. Coming out isn't just a one-time thing and daring to be brave every day.

Also, Creekside high felt super real. Not a botched up backdrop, but an actual school with real classes and normal high school drama.

THE EMAILS. I could literally read just a book of Simon and Blue's emails. They're so cute, funny, awkward, cute, sweet, did I say cute???

This book deserves ALL THE STARS. I'm so excited for the movie now. I literally can't wait to see Love, Simon.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

February 1, 2018 – Started Reading