Orient's Reviews > Sandman Slim

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

bookshelves: asap, recs-by-sarah, bloody-romance, desperado, entertaining, fantasy, favorites, hero, killer, psychological

Ohhh, "Sandman Slim", what a date it was! My first encounter with dear Mr. Stark aka lovely Sandman Slim was when I read the great reviews of Sarah, the Murderous πŸ’œ I was deeply charmed and intrigued, well mostly because my latest date with Daniel Faust wasn’t very gripping for me and I was looking for another great character (with some similar abilities) in the lead to woot, drool and swoon for! And I found him for sure in "Sandman Slim" πŸ’œ

Interesting plot with great action, blood, gore and mindblowing humor (more with dark spices which I totally loved).

β€œSandman Slim” is cleverly entwined, packed with fast pace and humor rollercoaster. The story is spiced with comical scenes, sarcastic sneak peeks into pop culture and ordinary life. All this is flanked with lots of action scenes, hitman stuff, moral issues, and mythological god vs devil fight. Some scenes may make you flinch if the removal if various body parts, lots of blood, gore and violence is not your everyday read! I like it in my fantasy reads so β€œSandman Slim” reading experience was like watching a great thriller on TV.

I fell in love with this book for its smart, kick-ass humor, it serves well as a counterweight to the darker violent side and makes this a subtle, gripping and enjoyable read.

.β€œSuit yourself. But with magic, I don’t ever run out of ammo.”
β€œNo, just brains.”

Word must have gotten around about my cage match with M…. and the K…...
F*ck me. I’m a rock star. And all I really wanted was a burrito.

Memorable characters I can fangirl for.

My fave part! Let the swooning begin πŸ˜†πŸ’œ There’s so much I love in Mr. Stark! He’s is a hard-core, self-concious, witty anti-hero. He knows what real hell is and he feels sorrow and pain like all of us, and he fights RL kicking and screaming! His roots, his past, wow. But that doesn’t make him a grumpy misery person. He’s the same awesome or even more than Dirty Harry! Broadcasting dark humor in Jack Daniels style, fighting the world with wonderful magic makes him a perfect anti-hero for me.

But I didn’t die.
I don’t know if it was the spells, the drugs, the Aqua Regia, or just clean living, but I was changing. Every time I should have died but didn’t, I got stronger. That meant that the next attack had to be harder, faster, even more ferocious than the one before. After a while, I actually looked forward to the beat-downs. Each one changed me and that change meant that I was immune from a similar attack next time. By the end, I was a flesh-and-bone, armor-plated Dirty Harry.

β€œWhat the hell is wrong with your clothes?”
β€œYeah. I had a little accident coming into town,” I say, giving her a sheepish grin. It’s a look that girls used to like when I was young and not entirely unhandsome. Talking to a cute human girl that I might have flirted with in my former life, I forget for a second that I’m no longer young or handsome. I shift to what I hope was a more neutral expression.
β€œI might need to pick up some new things. What do you think?”
β€œDon’t bother. I hear that arson is the new black.”

β€œAw. Dying didn’t work out for you? Boo hoo. Shove your James Dean wet dreams up your ass. At the end of the day, you’re still Sandman Slim and I’m still a head in a bag that smells like someone used it to store an extra ass.”
β€œI miss Alice.”
β€œI miss my balls.” K……….. looks around. β€œWho f*cked up my room?”
β€œIt’s my room now and you did. When you blew yourself up.”
β€œOh, right. That sucked.”
Aww, sweet K πŸ’œπŸ˜†

Wanna know about the baddies in this book? Damn it, but there are lots of them! I can literally count goodies on one hand fingers. While there are hundreds of twisted, cruel, perfect villains lurking there to entertain you πŸ˜±πŸ’œ

?”If Donald Trump and the Wicked Witch of the West had a kid, it would be J……. She looks like a librarian with some money and good taste in clothes, but underneath the Versace, she’s Godzilla with tits…”

Magical creatures and magical world in total.

I enjoyed the magical system and creatures in this book. If it was my ordinary fantasy read, I would have found some common plot with demons and magic (You know it: There lived a nice guy with sh*tty past and RL, he did some magic and saved the world from some demons or/and monsters. Voila!), but thanks god (or devil? πŸ˜†) it wasn’t. I enjoyed the sneak peeks into magical world with master magicians and various evil creatures like fallen (or not) angels, devils, jades. The magical weapons and things did get me excited for real (now I know what I want for this Christmas!)

(view spoiler)

To sum up, ”Sandman Slim” is a gripping revenge story that caught me in its witty embrace and didn’t let go even after finishing the book.

πŸ’œ The characters are fascinating and likable even with their dark screwed-up side.
πŸ’œThe action, humor and magic packed story is well-written and gripping.

This book is awesome and I’ll be most happy to continue my playdate with Mr. Stark πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

P.S. There is gonna be Sandman Slim on the screen!!!!!

78 likes ·  βˆ™ flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandman Slim.

February 2, 2018 – Shelved
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: asap
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: recs-by-sarah
February 12, 2018 – Started Reading
February 12, 2018 –
page 22
7.91% "A wonderful rec from my awesome murderous good rec fairy, Sarah πŸ’œ Thank you! πŸŽ†

"Are you gonna kill me?”

β€œDid you happen to notice me cutting off your head? If I wanted you dead, you’d be dead.”

Ohhh, Dirty Harry, you have a great twin and his name is James Stark πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ"
February 13, 2018 –
page 140
50.36% " β€œLet me guess. You were talking to a woman. I don’t need to hear the words. It’s all in the tone,” he says. β€œThey call when they want something, then they’re the ones who cut you off.”

β€œIt’s not women. It’s humans. Can’t live with ’em. Can’t kill ’em all.”

Hear ya,hear ya! Ugh, hoomanzz πŸ˜’

February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: bloody-romance
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: hero
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: killer
February 14, 2018 – Shelved as: psychological
February 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)

message 1: by Adina (new) - added it

Adina I heard to day that SANDMAN SLIM is coming to the big screen from the director of John Wick. I have to start this series before. How is it?

Orient Adina wrote: "I heard to day that SANDMAN SLIM is coming to the big screen from the director of John Wick. I have to start this series before. How is it?"

Yes, I googled the info and it's bloody AMAZINGGGGGG! 😍 It's a great, fun, action and magic packed read. I loved the humor the most πŸ˜† Hope you'll like the read if you decide to ask Sandman Slim on a date πŸ˜‰

message 3: by Samir (new)

Samir Great review. :-) This sounds very good. I'll consider givnig it a try. :-)

message 4: by Ana O (new)

Ana O Awesome review girl!

message 5: by Anton (new) - added it

Anton Okay... now that is a solid argument for reading this book;) thanks, Orient

message 6: by Lori (last edited Feb 15, 2018 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Aw! Happy Valentines! I'm glad that you met Stark!

Orient Samir wrote: "Great review. :-) This sounds very good. I'll consider givnig it a try. :-)"

Thanks, Samir πŸ˜‰ Hope you'll like the read if you choose to try this book πŸ˜‰ Lol, my second fave character is a talking head πŸ˜†

Orient Ana wrote: "Awesome review girl!"

Thanks, hon πŸ’œπŸ˜‰

Orient Anton wrote: "Okay... now that is a solid argument for reading this book;) thanks, Orient"

Glad you liked and always welcome πŸ˜‰ Yay, another victim member to Sandman Slim fanclub!

Orient Lori wrote: "Aw! Happy Valentines! I glad that you met Stark!"

Happy Valentines for you, too! Lol I decided to spend it with Stark πŸ’œπŸ˜†

message 11: by Stefan Bach (new)

Stefan Bach Awesome review, Orinta! :D I love gritty revenge stories. Magical world seems really interesting, as well. :D

message 12: by Adina (new) - added it

Adina Orient wrote: "Adina wrote: "I heard to day that SANDMAN SLIM is coming to the big screen from the director of John Wick. I have to start this series before. How is it?"

Yes, I googled the info and it's bloody A..."
I sort of asked him..aka, i bought the book. The time and place is still to be decided.

Orient Stefan Bach wrote: "Awesome review, Orinta! :D I love gritty revenge stories. Magical world seems really interesting, as well. :D"

Thanks, Stefan πŸ˜‰ I loved magical world, too. Would like all of the stuff for Christmas, well, except that worms πŸ˜†

Orient Adina wrote: "Orient wrote: "Adina wrote: "I heard to day that SANDMAN SLIM is coming to the big screen from the director of John Wick. I have to start this series before. How is it?"

Yes, I googled the info an..."

That's great and hope you'll enjoy the read! And hope Sandman Slim reaches the screens, not just a wild goose chase πŸ˜•

message 15: by Stefan Bach (new)

Stefan Bach Orient wrote: "Stefan Bach wrote: "Awesome review, Orinta! :D I love gritty revenge stories. Magical world seems really interesting, as well. :D"

Thanks, Stefan πŸ˜‰ I loved magical world, too. Would like all of th..."

That's, of course, understandable. I'll take the worms, thank you. :D:D

message 16: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas Awesome review, Orient. Sandman Slim sounds like a spectacular character! And even a Godzilla mention :o No wonder you're in love XD

message 17: by Caro (new) - added it

Caro the Helmet Lady Godzilla with tits? well, idk...

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) 5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SHRIMPS ARE ECSTATIC!

Sorry for the uppercase, but I'm slightly excited and stuff. Isn't this book amazing? Isn't my boyfriend delicious? Aren't the dialogues hilarious? Isn't this the UF series you've been waiting for all your life, and even before that? Hahaha.

Hey, if you manage to catch up with the series before book 10 is released, we should read it together:D

Great review, my Purplish Barnacle. Here, have some of your hearts: πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ:P

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Awesome review, Orient. Sandman Slim sounds like a spectacular character! And even a Godzilla mention :o No wonder you're in love XD"

Thanks, Sreyas πŸ˜‰IKR, he's almost perfect 😱 Team Godzilla! πŸ’ƒ

Orient Caro wrote: "Godzilla with tits? well, idk..."

Orient ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Joins in shrimpy dance *

Yes, YES, YESSSSSSSSS, to all answers 😍 Sandman Slim is really outstanding and thanks for not unleashing the crustaceans on me for liking Stark more than Faust!

When is the new book planned to be released? I'll try to!

Aww, thank you! You are the best murderous good rec fairy!!!!! πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Ariel One of my favorite anti-heroes and authors! I love Sandman Slim <3

Montzalee Wittmann I can't get enough of the Sandman! Glad you liked it.

Orient Ariel wrote: "One of my favorite anti-heroes and authors! I love Sandman Slim <3"

Yay! Team Stark!!!! πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

Orient Montzalee wrote: "I can't get enough of the Sandman! Glad you liked it."

He's amazing, happy to fangirl with you πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

message 26: by Caro (new) - added it

Caro the Helmet Lady Orient wrote: "Caro wrote: "Godzilla with tits? well, idk..."

Don't be malenist (feminists and malenists πŸ˜†) πŸ˜‚ There are female Godzillas, too πŸ˜†"

I think Godzilla is a chick anyway, lol, but tits????

message 27: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas *Takes out my Godzilla trivia book*

I think most considers Godzilla as male because of his "King of Monsters subtitle", but 1997 Hollywood Godzilla was definitely a lady and Original Japanese movie portray them as Gender neutral!

Orient Caro wrote: "Orient wrote: "Caro wrote: "Godzilla with tits? well, idk..."

I think Godzilla is a chick anyway, lol, but tits????"

Oh, is it because she runs naked all the time?! πŸ˜‚

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "*Takes out my Godzilla trivia book*

There might be some Godzillas, just saying... Hey, I'd like to see thst book aka my biography! 😎

message 30: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas Of course, there could be! Every time a Godzilla dies in story, one magically appear to take its place. I think deep inside Earth, there is a Mama Godzilla, sending Kids to play outside :p

Lol. I'll publish your biography after some years. I'll send you a copy!

Orient Ahahaha, Mama Godzilla πŸ˜†

Ok, just don't forget the pics where I look nice!

message 32: by Caro (new) - added it

Caro the Helmet Lady Haha! Too funny, both of them xD

message 33: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas Orient wrote: "Ahahaha, Mama Godzilla πŸ˜†

Ok, just don't forget the pics where I look nice!

"

Orient Caro wrote: "Haha! Too funny, both of them xD"

Oh yeah, I love selfies πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜‚

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Orient wrote: "
Ahahah, Well played, Orient. I'll definitely add these to the book. I can't decide on the name though :p Any ideas? "

Lol, they are from mt family album πŸ˜‚

Never Step On Rusty Buildings: And Other Things I’ve Learned From Orient πŸ˜† Maybe too long?

message 36: by Jody (new)

Jody Great review Orinta! Your review has me very intrigued. Sounds rigjt up my ally. Sandman Slim is now happily on my TBR list. πŸ˜‰

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Orient wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the upp..."

Book 10 should be released on August 28...the same day as KD #10. I hate my life. Hahaha.

Orient Jody wrote: "Great review Orinta! Your review has me very intrigued. Sounds rigjt up my ally. Sandman Slim is now happily on my TBR list. πŸ˜‰"

Thanks, Jody! πŸ˜‰ Yay,hope you'll enjoy the book when your reading time comes πŸ˜‰

Orient ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Orient wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So..."

Omg, I need to hurry then, dang it my snail reading pace 😱 A couple encouraging kicks to by butt would be really helpful if you don't mind helping me? πŸ˜• Yay for KD and nooooo for the last book in the series! I don't wanna it to end πŸ˜₯

message 40: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas Orient wrote: "Sr3yas wrote: "Orient wrote: "

Lol, they are from mt family album πŸ˜‚

Never St..."

Lol. It's a good name. We could also consider:

When the Godzilla Roars: Tales from Orient.
Queen of Monsters: The Untold Story.
Tokyo Nights.
My Crazy Kaiju Family.
Why not purple? A Godzilla story.

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Orient wrote: "Sr3yas wrote: "Orient wrote: "

Lol, they are from mt family alb..."

Roflmao πŸ˜‚ These titles are amazing, but I go for the last one πŸ˜† You said the magic word!!!!!!!! 😱

message 42: by Sr3yas (new) - added it

Sr3yas Brillant. We shall soon start printing :p Here is the cover!

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Brillant. We shall soon start printing :p Here is the cover!

OH MY GOD! 😱 Where the hell did you get it? It is purply amazing 😍

Melissa β™₯ Dog/Wolf Lover β™₯ Martin Fantastic review love πŸ’•πŸ˜Š

Orient Melissa β™₯ Dog Lover β™₯ wrote: "Fantastic review love πŸ’•πŸ˜Š"

Thanks, dear Mel! πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ˜‰πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ