C.G. Drews's Reviews > An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

bookshelves: adult, read-2018, sci-fi

I obviously wanted to read this because...it's Hank Green.. But I think I will just stick to the other brother of John for now oops. This style of story isn't really in my realm of interests, I confess. Adults/scifi? Hm. So possibly the book is just *not for me* but I was so confused and detached.

Like April is an actual horrible person so why would I care about her? And she gets famous instantly for seeing a robot on a street and making a movie of it. This is BEFORE they think it's an alien. I don't...get it? Why would people even care (this is prior to the alien part, just keep that in mind). I didn't care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But I think what made me most disenchanted was April just being a total jerk at every opportunity. (Especially to her girlfriend?! Who she continues to use for solving alien puzzles but treated her like utter trash.) And I found the writing really dry tbh.

Anyway. I'M SORRY. I know lots of people love this book and I'm not sitting here comparing it to John's books because they're so so different. I just didn't mesh with this at all lmao what was this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Absolutely Remarkable Thing.

February 2, 2018 – Shelved
February 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2018 – Started Reading
November 5, 2018 –
page 80
22.73% "So they found a piece of art that looks like a robot and now they're famous? 🤨Not only do I not understand this, I don't even care about it lmaooooo I should've just stuck with one Green brother"
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: adult
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi
November 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Rita I totally understand your review! I am reading it right now and i cannot stand April like why on earth are you being so rude and jerk? It's writing style is good but the character ruins the book.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna UGH I hate that kind of protagonist!! *removes from TBR list*

Claire Yeah I think my expectations were too high going in, thanks to my undying love for John Green's books. There was a lot I liked about it, but April May was not one of those things. She was so mean to Maya, and she kind of used Miranda too. :/ And I was so excited for a bisexual heroine, too... But will I read the next one? Yes. :P

message 4: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Rita: It's like why would I care about her? She very openly is like "oh I have issues"...but for no reason?! I have zero patience for characters who are mean tbh.

@Donna: I'm really sad it didn't work for me 😫

message 5: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Claire: Yes exactly! I was pleasantly surprised to find a bi heroine and then...she just had zero regard for people's feelings and worth and I'm so not here for that. (view spoiler)

message 6: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Kitty: I understand that 😂 I think it's best not to think of them as brothers for their books because they're nothing alike (in terms of story content/style) on this medium!

Simona Deduchova I was looking for someone to say how unlikable April is from the very beginning - and remains so until the end really. I liked the idea of the book and it's quite exciting, but how terrible is April to everyone and for no reason whatsoever.

Joanie Agreed , tried hard to read but skipped to end half way though! Still not my type of book.

message 9: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I feel like the Green brother's don't write female characters all that well, Hazel bring the exception. It sounds like the protagonist should have been a guy.

message 10: by Kasey (new) - rated it 1 star

Kasey Yes, all of this. I'm currently trying to read this book, and I just cannot get into the style, the dryness of it, this character April, and WTF is evening happening?

Christiana I get that her descent into narcissism and treating everyone around her like tools to be used to further her "fame" was sort of the point, but she was pretty self-centered and cruel to her friends to start with. Her treatment of Maya was just so awful. Poor brilliant, kind Maya deserves way better.

message 12: by Harker (new)

Harker THANK YOU! I tried to read this, twice!, in two different formats, but I couldn't stomach April's personality enough to get too far in. I wanted to like it because I enjoy the Green Brothers and their YouTube videos. :( What a shame.