Raul Bimenyimana's Reviews > Brave

Brave by Rose McGowan

A reminder to myself never to engage with activism when it comes packaged in racism and transphobia. Deeply disappointed (again) at the lack of understanding that abuse can extend past one's experience and identity and I am glad I won't be purchasing or reading a book by a bigot. And still very disappointed that a person would take upon themselves to make what is a honourable movement self-centered and non-inclusive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave.

Finished Reading
February 2, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Joanna (new) - added it

Joanna One can say the same about trans activist Andi Dier, no? She has been accused of sexually harassing and targeting girls as young as 12. This is Rose's story and I would like to live in a world where we all have an opportunity to share our story and try to set boundaries for our lives. She is clumsy but many people, especially people who have experienced the depth of trauma she has experienced, are.

She didn't handle the B&N altercation perfectly, that's totally true. It would be great if she could give up some space to certain other issues and give up the mic for others. But she is someone who herself has such a unique intersection of trauma that I am personally choosing to see her story for what it is, in boundaried ways. If anything, she probably just shouldn't have agreed to go on a book tour until she was in a better shape emotionally. But the same could be said about Andi Dier's activism. We don't always have those options in life.

message 2: by Raul (new) - added it

Raul Bimenyimana Joanna wrote: "One can say the same about trans activist Andi Dier, no? She has been accused of sexually harassing and targeting girls as young as 12. This is Rose's story and I would like to live in a world wher..."

I would never defend an abuser, if Andi Dier is one then the same consequences should fall upon her as any abuser. Rose has every right to say her story as she should, but she has no right to take the racist, transphobic and homophobic positions she has taken before as she did recently. Asking a trans woman "what have you done for women?" and telling her that she doesn't come from her planet is divisive, erasive and dismissive. As a member of the queer and black communities I believe I have a right to withhold my support from people who disregard the communities I intersect with, it is a personal choice.

I was disappointed with Rose's ignorance and arrogance and for that I won't purchase or read this book. That doesn't mean she shouldn't tell her story, just that I won't support a person who is bigoted and hateful. I could readily post a link of the problematic things she has said in the past (other than the recent altercation) if you still want to engage.

Sonia I can understand entirely the reasons for your anger, BUT it is also very misleading to 'review' a book as 1* when you have never had any intention of reading it.

message 4: by Raul (new) - added it

Raul Bimenyimana Sonia wrote: "I can understand entirely the reasons for your anger, BUT it is also very misleading to 'review' a book as 1* when you have never had any intention of reading it."

Noted, I agree.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Trans women and cis women have different experiences, sure, but we’re still all women. I may not experience the bias that’s against trans women but we both experience the bias that’s against women in general. Intersectional feminism is a beautiful thing.

I’m glad I saw this.

message 6: by ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

ben maybe you should read the book before you comment on it, no? I don't get the impression she's trying to make this self-centered. It's a book about HER life, not the movement itself, though that is a big part of it.