Michael's Reviews > The Source

The Source by James A. Michener

Oct 27, 2011

Read in October, 1974

I have mixed fond and not so fond memories about "The Source." I am a huge Michener fan and have read all of his books. "The Source" is at the top of my Michener list along with "The Drifters." I started "The Source" in 1974 when I was visiting Israel, the subject of the book. Part of my visit included a bus tour of Israel. I was delighted to read about a place, then reach the actual site of which Michener was writing. The problem was that, about the time I arrived in Israel, I developed a serious case of "Nebuchadnezzar's Complaint" (the middle eastern version of Montezuma's Revenge). There was a serious lack of toilet paper on the tour and I had to read as fast as I could to keep the supply of usable paperpack ahead of the need to make use of it in a manner not consistent with that intended by the publisher. The novel was over a thousand pages and I had to read really, really, really fast, finishing the book in about three days. I have repurchased the "The Source" (the original is no longer extant) and intent to reread it at a more enjoyable pace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Source.

02/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Slasberg I loved your review

Michael Thanks!

Dave Smith I also read The Source in 75 whilst at a kibbutz in Israel - it was one of the things you read in those days, along with owning a copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water, Tapestry and Sgt Peppers.

message 4: by Michael (last edited Jan 07, 2018 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Dave wrote: "I also read The Source in 75 whilst at a kibbutz in Israel - it was one of the things you read in those days, along with owning a copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water, Tapestry and Sgt Peppers."

Wow, I had all three. I still have all three even though they are now in a different format.

Michael Renee wrote: "That's the best story about reading that I've ever heard,"

Thanks, it wasn't so funny when it happened, it is looking back now.