Roxanne's Reviews > Hiding Lies

Hiding Lies by Julie Cross

13198265

bookshelves: netgalley, ya, 5000-books

After reading "Chasing Truth", the first Ellie Ames book, and loving it, I was super keen to read the next installment in the series. Although I had a few issues with "Hiding Lies", overall it was a fun read and I enjoyed my time with it.

"Hiding Lies" continues on with Ellie's story shortly after the events of "Chasing Truth". It had been quite a while since I read "Hiding Lies", so I couldn't really remember what had happened previously. Fortunately, Julie Cross provided some flashbacks and details through some of Ellie's inner monologues, and I ended up catching on pretty quickly.

At the beginning of the book, Ellie and Miles have become even more close, although it becomes evident early on that Miles is hiding something big. Ellie wants to trust Miles and not be the type of clingy girlfriend who always creates drama wherever she goes, but it's difficult to not worry at least a little bit when her boyfriend has effectively gone off the grid.

Which bring me to one of those "issues" I mentioned earlier on. Ellie and Miles didn't have much page time together, to my disappointment. What little time they did spend in the same vicinity was schmexy as hell, because nobody writes teen steam quite like Julie Cross, but I was kept wanting more as far as the two of them working together as a team, or bantering back and forth like I remember from "Chasing Truth".

Instead, we get introduced to Dominic as Ellie's sidekick, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't remember Dominic at all from the first book, so he obviously didn't make a huge impression on me, but he wasn't very well developed here, either. There was one rather deep and compelling moment between him and Ellie, but other than that, I found Dominic's character to be bland and forgettable once more.

This lack of development of secondary characters was another of my issues with "Hiding Lies". Justice and Chantel, Harper and Aiden - they all make appearances in this book, but they don't really add anything to the story. Aside from one very amusing episode between Justice and an FBI agent, and a short road trip Ellie took with Aiden, the entire cast of secondary characters could quite possibly have been eliminated from the novel and I wouldn't have noticed.

As for the plot, I have so many questions, like what exactly was Ellie's dad's con, anyway? And how was the mob involved in any of it? That didn't make sense to me. Oh yeah, and how did Ellie (and Dominic, most times) manage to miss most of the events of the field trip without anybody noticing? Maybe I don't have a criminal mind, or I missed something during my reading, but I was left scratching my head in confusion.

Despite these problems, I still enjoyed my time with "Hiding Lies" and if there is a third book in the series, I will definitely be wanting to continue reading.

My rating: 3.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiding Lies.

February 1, 2018 – Shelved