Elizabeth's Reviews > The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

bookshelves: young-adult, historical-fiction, diverse, 2018-reads, fun-reads, m-m-reads, series, lgbtq-reads

It's hard to review this book, because it was so popular! And I didn't like it at first, so it's hard for me to not be all hyped up about this book.

As I said, I wasn't instantly hooked by this book. I couldn't stand Monty and the story was going so slow.
Monty was just too much of a jerk for me to enjoy reading his narrative. I would have loved to hear the story from Percy's perspective. Instead, I was really annoyed by Monty and his shenanigans. And his total not caring about anyone else?
After 150 pages in, I just wasn't interested anymore! I was done with Monty. But so many readers kept raving, and I knew I had to finish it. So I did!

And while I'm still not a fan of Henry Montague, I adore Felicity and Percy. Also, the action significantly picked up post-Paris and the whole story was much more engaging.

The dialogue is super witty, and while Monty is annoying, he is hilarious!
His redeeming quality besides his handsome face, is really his wit. It made me laugh ALOT. Also, the further he gets from London, the less annoying he is? And by the end of the story, I was actually rooting for him. Which tells you a lot about how I grew as a reader and how Henry developed as a character.

I'm a big fan of Felicity and I'm very much anticipating the Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue.

December 15, 2017 – Started Reading