Orville Jenkins's Reviews > Time Has Come: How to Prepare Now for Epic Events Ahead

Time Has Come by Jim Bakker

liked it

Revelation -- A Measured, Contextual but still Literalized Premillennial View

Jim Bakker is to be commended for the perspective presented in this book, acknowledging the immediacy of his message to persecuted Christian churches in the Roman province of Asia under Emperor Domitian in the last decade of the first century.

Persecution Focus
Bakker comments: "John did not send this book to the seven churches simply to satisfy their curiosity about the future. He sent to help them survive the persecutions of their day and make it through the dark night of their despair" (p 24).

Bakker and his cowriter provide helpful background for each city to focus our understanding of the letters to the individual churches in this commercial and religious center of the eastern Roman Empire. They give a summary of the political situation at that time, and open the book by setting up in fiction fashion the situation of the author of Revelation on the isle of Patmos himself for his activity in promoting Jesus Christ as a rival lord to the legally divine Emperor.

John's Situation
Bakker frames each chapter with this background story of John in his visionary and writing experience on his prison island. Bakker relates John's situation to his own prison experience and the reflections the prison time afforded him.

Even with this welcome practical focus on the Lord's message through the Revelator, Bakker insists on hanging on to the future literal interpretation of events in our endtime future. He overlays his variation of common sci fi projections on the ancient picture in the Roman Empire upon our times and politics, for his version of turning prophecy into prediction for our time.

He, as is common in this endtime approach, never explains the basis for determining that we know somehow we are now at what has to be the end of history, in order to know how to overlay our events upon Revelation, instead of it still being in some future generation or era. There is, in fact, no way to know.

Measured and Humble
This winds up being the common stymie point in the logic of every attempt to predict the end based on political events in our time. The "signs" are repeated and available to any generation. Empire is still Empire in whatever form in whatever era. Bakker takes a measured, thoughtful and humble approach to this topic, a refreshing change from many "prophecy" advocates with bombastic, belligerent, indignant, even gleeful, hateful and dogmatic approaches in so many quarters

He remains a premillennialist, but acknowledges the variations on the ideas about the order of events and when the "rapture" will take place. He is careful to use qualifying words like perhaps, probably, some people think, regardless of how it happens, and so forth, that show a spirit of charity.

Literalizing
He is careful to note the immediate historical references of Rome, Babylon and the Beast to the Emperor, but still insists on segueing seamlessly into talking about the literalized futuristic Antichrist. He never expresses doubt that there is a message written for us and our time IN ADDITION to the immediate totally-present context meaning of the original revelation visions.

I found that amazing and totally unwarranted by the details he does bring out in the text, and the fact that every detail of the text can be accounted for by the immediate historical situation and historical events of the 1st century when John wrote this Revelation to the beleaguered churches in the Roman province of Asia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Has Come.

February 1, 2018 – Started Reading