Tilly Slaton's Reviews > The Harlequin

F 50x66
Oct 27, 2011

bookshelves: reviews-completed
Read in December, 2011

The Harlequin is a very interesting book.

Have you ever tried to make spaghetti sauce from scratch? In the beginning, you add all the spices and you think you have a good thing going. Then after you let it simmer for a few hours, everything explodes and you have this monstrosity of a pot of sauce that has drowned itself in too many flavors?

Well ...that’s this book.

Some people say that you could never have too much of a good thing. I disagree. I enjoy reading about all of Blake’s sweeties, all the bad guys, Edward and sexy psycho Olaf, but throwing them all into a book together isn’t as easy as it sounds.

Anita Blake. My hero. The sexy goddess of lust and wrath .. dundundun ..

I sat behind my desk, sipping coffee from my newest Christmas-themed mug: a little girl sat on Santa’s lap saying, “Define good.”

Anita is an awesome character. My friend asked me to describe her and it just isn’t an easy thing to do. And then I read this book. There is a two-word sentence that just flat-out does it for me.

Romantically handicapped.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg baby!

Wereanimals fighting for political pull. Betrayal from Anita’s closet bodyguards. In the end, will they protect her or their leader?

The Harlequin, the boogeyman, the police of the vampire society stalks and hunts Anita and her loved ones. No one follows their own rules. Laws are broken. Just when you think you’ve made sense on “what is and what is not allowed” the shit hits the fan.

Ultimatums from one of her main sweeties leaves her heart-wrenching. Anita isn’t sure if she can give him what he needs and is afraid if she cannot, if he will leave her for someone who will.

Bottom line of this book .. It’s a great book! Lots of sex, blood and gore. Stubborn hearts refusing to be ripped out of chest cavities. Sexy psycho Olaf courting Anita in only his delusional way.

Two deaths! Man .. It’s about time. Kill some of them off and get on with it

“In this world I would rather live two days like a tiger than a hundred years like a sheep.”

I recommend this book to all adults, especially to those of you that are reading this series. This book is a MUST read. There are a LOT of key factors that are formed in this book that carry on to the next three. I strongly advise keeping this book away from ALL children AND teenagers. Only mature adults should read this book.

Politically correct and STRONG twisted SEXUAL content. Extreme violence, blood and smiling gore. Yeehaw for blood dripping sex! Or is that sexy dripping blood? Damn.. is there a difference?

I’m off to read Blood Noir now!

Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Harlequin.

09/16 marked as: read

James Good review, though it's not my cup of tea. I read it. Much preferred Hamilton's earlier Anita Blake.