Betsy Robinson's Reviews > Circe

Circe by Madeline Miller

Read 2 times. Last read April 12, 2018 to April 14, 2018.

Family dysfunction, sibling rivalry, whacko parents, unrequited love, remorse for vengefulness due to jealousy and unrequited love, father/daughter and mother/son acrobatics, and the monsters we create and cherish. All this is packed into Madeline Miller’s fantastic (and I mean that literally) prose, using mythical gods and goddesses.

You do not have to be a fan of the classics and Greek mythology to love this book!

I was not a fan of mythology. In high school I stumbled over the Greek names and I now blush to admit that when I was in theater school, I was bored to death with The Odyssey when our director decided we would create a play based on our feelings about it. Mine were: If I read about the “rosy fingers of dawn” creeping anywhere one more time, I’m going to puke. Ignorant young me. Odysseus is a fully formed man in this novel about how our human foibles play out and it’s all seen through the eyes of Circe, a woman in exile, a single mother, a powerful witch whose bravery has nothing to do with magic.

Author Madeline Miller is thirty-nine years old and could pass for a simple “pretty girl” in her twenties if she chose. But in this epic, she leads with her ancient heart and her hefty classical education steeped in what feels like a love affair of many lifetimes with her subject: the human mess writ large through ancient characters that she brings to life anew with a wild imagination and impeccable technique. Her descriptions are out of this world and the ending makes you feel the inexpressible joy and gratitude of being mortal in this crazy world we live in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circe.

Finished Reading
February 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 1, 2018 – Shelved
April 12, 2018 – Started Reading
April 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Excellent review, Betsy!

message 2: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Wow! Dang it. Can't wait to have a copy in my hands!

Betsy Robinson Antoinette wrote: "Excellent review, Betsy!"

Thanks, Antoinette.

Betsy Robinson Julie wrote: "Wow! Dang it. Can't wait to have a copy in my hands!"

I suspect you are going to love this one, Julie.

message 5: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Wonderful review, Betsy! You are the second review I have read that says you don’t have to be a fan of Greek Mythology to love the book. Now I’m not afraid to read it. I’m glad you loved it!

message 6: by ChopinFC (new) - added it

ChopinFC Great review..looking forward to reading this one.

Betsy Robinson Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review, Betsy! You are the second review I have read that says you don’t have to be a fan of Greek Mythology to love the book. Now I’m not afraid to read it. I’m glad you loved it!"

Enjoy, Jennifer. It's a great book!

Betsy Robinson ChopinFC wrote: "Great review..looking forward to reading this one."

Have fun, ChopinFC.

Debra Love your Review Betsy! I love the Author's wild imagination as well!

Betsy Robinson Debra wrote: "Love your Review Betsy! I love the Author's wild imagination as well!"

Your review was great too, Debra. What a book!

message 11: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Wonderful review, Betsy!

Betsy Robinson Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Betsy!"

Thanks, Cheri.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Fantastic review, Betsy!

Betsy Robinson Diane wrote: "Fantastic review, Betsy!"

Thanks, Diane.

message 15: by Dolors (new)

Dolors At least you are familiar with The Odyssey, I haven't even gotten close to reading it, Betsy! I have heard wonders of this author. I have The Song of Achilles on my shelves. Maybe it's time I pulled it off my shelves... Very useful review!

Betsy Robinson Dolors wrote: "At least you are familiar with The Odyssey, I haven't even gotten close to reading it, Betsy! I have heard wonders of this author. I have The Song of Achilles on my shelves. Maybe i..."

Thanks, Dolors. I've been telling people I run into about Circe and a couple of friends yesterday told me they'd read and loved the Achilles book. I must read it. Since finishing Circe I've read one more book and am into a second one, but I'm still thinking about Circe. It woke me up!

message 17: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Byrnes Ditto on not being interested as a youngster. Miller can cut through that for a lot of younger readers, and even make more mature readers cheer at how interesting the classics can be.

Betsy Robinson Will wrote: "Ditto on not being interested as a youngster. Miller can cut through that for a lot of younger readers, and even make more mature readers cheer at how interesting the classics can be."

Glad you enjoyed it too, Will.