Stephanie W's Reviews > The Aleph and Other Stories

The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges

Oct 27, 2011

bookshelves: book-club, conceptual-mind-fuck, fiction, latin-american, short-stories, favorites
Read from October 27 to 31, 2011

I had never read anything by Borges before and I am so astonished by the style and how much I loved it. I loved the language, the themes, the perpetual elements of greek mythology and labyrinths and mirrors. I loved "The Immortal", "House of Asterion" and "The Aleph".

I can't explain why I loved everything about this book. It's a little dense, but I would not have picked up this book were it not for book club. All the stories are so similar and beautiful in their connectivity. With themes like death, humanity, knowledge, etc, it's difficult to differentiate the stories from each other. It's proof that there are no new ideas and there is no originality in any creative work, yet that's okay. Novelty has become mundane and the only thing that survives are words, not memories. Yet thats just life, and that's what is so amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Aleph and Other Stories.

05/06/2016 marked as: read