Julie's Reviews > Dreams of Falling

Dreams of Falling by Karen   White

bookshelves: 2018, contemporary-fiction

Dreams of Falling by Karen White is a 2018 Berkley publication.

So far, my summer reading experience has been second to none. I’ve enjoyed some great romances, thrillers, mysteries, and even touched base with my favorite series, and beach reads. So, Karen White faced some pretty stiff competition by the time I got around to reading this book. But, hands down this is my favorite book of summer.

Larkin is called home, from New York, to South Carolina, after a lengthy absence because her mother, Ivy, suffered a horrible, life threatening fall, under mysterious circumstances, which opens up a Pandora’s box of old family secrets. Meanwhile, Larkin must confront her painful past, and come to terms with the complicated relationship she has with Ivy and her father, and the horrible embarrassment she suffered back in high school.

Along the way, she will embark on a journey of self-discovery as she begins to decipher a decades old mystery surrounding her late grandmother.

Southern lit is a lot like indulging in good southern food. It always feels a little more succulent, a little more decadent, a lot more sinful, and much heavier and meatier. It’s also very comforting and always leaves me feeling peacefully gratified. Karen White’s southern dramas has the same effect on me as having consumed a huge southern style meal, a nice bottle of red wine, a rich dessert, and lovely cup of strong coffee to sip on, while I kick back and savor the feeling of satisfaction, absorbing and digesting all the various angles of the story, the characterizations, and the big emotions her stories often bring to the surface.

This book is no exception- but, this time, Ms. White has taken it to a whole new level. I have often lamented the death of those fabulous family sagas, wishing that someday, someone would come along and refresh the genre to fit into our busy lives, where huge ‘doorstopper’ tomes don’t quite fit anymore.

Karen White pulls that off with a novel that covers several generations but manages to wrap everything up in one book in just a little over four hundred pages.

Only a veteran, seasoned author could pull off this type of prose, using a variety of narrative options, going back and forth in time. Again- White stitched together an intricate web that kept me transfixed from beginning to end. There was never even the tiniest blip. If I had to make a complaint, I have to say I wish I had gotten a clearer picture of Bitty, and I wish Ivy’s past had been a bit more fleshed out, with a deeper analysis regarding her flightiness.

Other than that, this is a near perfect representation of southern lit. Long buried family secrets, a mystery, a small paranormal tint, eccentric characters, a wide range of voices and moods, lots of high drama and waves of emotions, strong familial ties and equally strong bonds of friendship, with a tender and sweet romance to cap it all off.

Naturally, one doesn’t want to over indulge in large, heavy meals and rich desserts too often, because too much of a good thing can be bad. However, the opposite is true with good southern dramas. Over indulgence is good for you. It nourishes the mind, spirit and soul- so, in this case- you can never have too much of good thing.

5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of Falling.

January 31, 2018 – Shelved
January 31, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 31, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
January 31, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
May 14, 2018 – Started Reading
July 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Fantastic review Julie! Sounds so good!!! 💕I’m adding!

Julie Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Sounds so good!!! 💕I’m adding!"

Thank you, Lindsay!! I hope you enjoy it! Happy reading!! 💕😊

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Terrific review, Julie!

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Terrific review, Julie!"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 💕

Betsy Excellent review. One which gives this wonderful book what it deserves.

message 6: by Julie (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie Betsy wrote: "Excellent review. One which gives this wonderful book what it deserves."

Thank you, Betsy!! KW is one of my favs. This one was exceptional, though. 😊

RedemptionDenied Superb review, Julie!

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Superb review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 💕

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Terrific review, Julie! :)

Julie Diane wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! :)"

Thank you, Diane!! 😊

message 11: by KAS (new)

KAS Love this author and lucky enough to have met her twice. She is just as wonderful in person as her books are wonderful. So glad you loved and this is your favorite read of the summer. Awesome review, Julie! She knows the south and no one “tells it” better ;) XoXo

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Julie!

message 13: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Awesome review Julie! Glad you enjoyed :)

Julie KAS wrote: "Love this author and lucky enough to have met her twice. She is just as wonderful in person as her books are wonderful. So glad you loved and this is your favorite read of the summer. Awesome revie..."

Thank you, KAS!! Oh, I am so jealous! I'd love to meet KW. I agree, she really 'gets' the south and sure knows how to weave a great story. 😊

Julie Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, Brenda!!! 😊

Julie Kendall wrote: "Awesome review Julie! Glad you enjoyed :)"

Thank you, Kendall!! 😊

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint Outstanding review, Julie! I'm glad you found your book of the summer. :)

Tammy Lovely review Julie! I loved it, is one of my favorites this year!!

message 19: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Carolyn wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thank you, Carolyn!! 😊😊

Julie Tammy wrote: "Lovely review Julie! I loved it, is one of my favorites this year!!"

Thank you, Tammy!! I'm so glad you loved it too!! 😊

Julie Sarah wrote: "Outstanding review, Julie! I'm glad you found your book of the summer. :)"

Thank you, Sarah!! 😊

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Absolutely lovely review, Julie! I love this author and cannot wait to read this book! 💕

message 24: by PorshaJo (new) - added it

PorshaJo Great review Julie! Now I can't wait to grab this one. I really enjoy Karen White and this is probably what I need to read now.

Julie PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Julie! Now I can't wait to grab this one. I really enjoy Karen White and this is probably what I need to read now."

Thank you, PorshaJo!! I hope you like the story as much as I did. Happy reading!! 😊

message 26: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wow, Julie this sounds amazing! Definitely adding to my summer reads. Fabulous review!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Wow, Julie this sounds amazing! Definitely adding to my summer reads. Fabulous review!"

Thank you, Meredith!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 😊💕

message 28: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Your favorite book of the summer?! I love that! Awesome review Julie!

Julie Susanne wrote: "Your favorite book of the summer?! I love that! Awesome review Julie!"

Thank you, Susanne! 😊

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I guess I need to add this one asap. Lovely review!!

message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I guess I need to add this one asap. Lovely review!!

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Fab review Julie! :)

message 33: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Walters Thanks Julie ... I’ve never read Karen White. You have inspired me

Julie Holly wrote: "I guess I need to add this one asap. Lovely review!!"

Thank you, Holly! Yes!! I think you'd love Karen White!! 😊

Julie Elyse wrote: "Thanks Julie ... I’ve never read Karen White. You have inspired me"

Thank you, Elyse!! I hope will give her books a try! I think you'd really like her stories!! 😊

Julie Sandra wrote: "Fab review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!! 😊

message 37: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Terrific review Julie! Sounds like a special story and so glad you really enjoyed it. 😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "Terrific review Julie! Sounds like a special story and so glad you really enjoyed it. 😊"

Thank you, Nicola!! 😊😊

message 39: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce This sounds wonderful just like your review, Julie. One for me to add.

message 40: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fab review Julie 😊

Julie Marialyce wrote: "This sounds wonderful just like your review, Julie. One for me to add."

Thank you, Marialyce!! 💕😊 I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Fab review Julie 😊"

Thank you, Maureen!! 😊

message 43: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!!

Julie Deanna wrote: "Great review!!!"

Thank you, Deanna!! 😊

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Great a great review, Julie! Best book of 2018?! That certainly makes me want to pick it up NOW! I hope your trend of great reads continues! 😊

Elizabeth Fitzgerald I agree whole heartedly with all you have written in your review. I also loved this book but could not have stated it so eloquently.

Julie Elizabeth wrote: "I agree whole heartedly with all you have written in your review. I also loved this book but could not have stated it so eloquently."

Thank you so much Elizabeth!! I'm glad you enjoyed this one too! 🌹😊

message 48: by leslie hamod (new) - added it

leslie hamod So glad for your choices! And excellent reviews as well. I have added many of you selections!

Julie leslie hamod wrote: "So glad for your choices! And excellent reviews as well. I have added many of you selections!"

Thank you, Leslie!! I have added some of yours as well!! That's what I love about Goodreads! Good friends and good books! 😊😊

message 50: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Exquisite review! 😍🔰