Kristine GPI Bookblog's Reviews > The Upside to Being Single

The Upside to Being Single by Emma  Hart

bookshelves: 2018, 4-lipsticks, arc-read, glass-paper-ink-bookblog-review, romantic-comedy

I'll be honest, Emma Hart has been on my radar for a while now, I've one clicked book after book of her most recent releases, each filled with quirky, bright covers and fun, catchy names, and yet somewhere along the way, during a time where far too much overtime was logged and distractions seem to mount, they found their way to my To Be Read pile, instead of my What I'm Reading Now pile. The Upside To Being Single though... that cover, the opening line of the blurb, the fact that the author would be signing at an Author Event I'm co-hosting in mere months meant I had to dive right in and forsake job hunting (what I am doing right now should any family members ask).

I often wonder if there is important information I should be privy to before I dive into a new to me authors work, with little more than a handful of online conversations with the author herself and a fun blurb I switched on my kindle and got to work. Almost instantly I felt a connection to Melanie “Mellie” Rogers, I mean for starters my maiden name is Rogers so there's that, but after twenty years working in customer service, retail and hospitality that opening scene made me smile for all the right reasons. There's a saying that the customer is always right, let me tell you that you'll disagree with that statement quick smart after handling ridiculous requests, rude customers and silly complaints on daily basis. It's not all bad though, in between the newest entries into the MOST BIZARRE CUSTOMER File each customer service manager complies mentally, there are days filled with happy customers and great friends. Add to the obvious connections, is my uncanny ability to do something stupid when I have an audience, if its not making bad decisions, it's falling over, slipping, stumbling or just being downright awkward.

Mellie is without a doubt one of those heroines you want to know in real life, funny, real, self deprecating, she may have doubts about her ability to adult most of the time, but her skills, experience and personality is what makes her the perfect person to manage the aging complex she has devoted the last several years to. Her voice is both young and genuine and her often awkward moments only make her more endearing.

“Because you are a spitfire. You’re so gentle but at the same time, you’re incredible, fierce.”

Jacob Creed is every bit of the Tall, Dark & Silent Mellie purports him to be, the dual POV added to my enjoyment, giving me the insight into his thoughts and actions, his initial thoughts of a more intimate nature are clear, but so is his enjoyment of the continued interactions.

This book hit all the right marks for me to forget time and just revel in the sights and sounds of New Orleans. If I wasn't already desperate to travel to NOLA and experience Mardi Gras I would be adding it to my travel bucket list. A book filled with chemistry, exuding fun and frivolity, with a heroine who expunged all the reasons why dating and settling down was absolutely the wrong choice for her, to a hero who proves that finding someone who not only accepts your quirks but relishes them is the very best rebuttal to her argument. For an introduction to Emma Hart's writing The Upside To Being Single seemed to be the perfect choice, sexy, light and filled with laughs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Upside to Being Single.

2018 – Started Reading