CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Jonny Appleseed

Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead

bookshelves: canadian, poc-canlesbrarian, indigenous, queer, two-spirit, fiction, sex-work, 5-stars

What a beautiful, sad, funny book. It's the most poignant reminder I've had in a while about how powerful and effecting a first person narrative can be. Jonny, the two-spirit main character, carries the book with his raw, hilarious, insightful voice. The story meanders through his memories, mostly of his kokum, mom, and his great first love Tias, while in the present Jonny prepares to go back to the rez for his mom's boyfriend's funeral.

Favourite quotes:

"Humility is just a humiliation you loved so much it transformed."

"I texted him back with a simple 'No.' I made an emphasis to punctuate my text. In the digital universe, a punctuated sentence is as powerful a slap as slamming down the landline."

"Funny how an NDN 'love you' sounds more like 'I'm in pain with you.'"

Full review on my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonny Appleseed.

January 31, 2018 – Shelved
January 31, 2018 – Shelved as: sex-work
May 16, 2018 – Started Reading
July 4, 2018 –
page 59
26.34% "This book is an incredible testament to the power and electricity of a first person voice. As soon as you start reading Jonny saying "I ..." it's like he's got you by the throat. So mesmirizing."
July 4, 2018 –
page 104
46.43% ""I never had to tell him, that's how I knew I loved him--I never had to tell him."

"Funny how an NDN 'love you' sounds more like, 'I'm in pain with you."

💔💔"
July 5, 2018 –
page 120
July 9, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 11, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Rhonda (new) - added it

Rhonda I am so excited about this.

Andre Guimond Someones Canada readsing! :)

CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian Ha, I actually read this book years ago! My review popped up because someone liked it and I noticed a typo in my review so I edited it. I guess it looks like I just finished it now!