Miranda Reads's Reviews > Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

bookshelves: audiobook, 2018-popsugar-reading-challenge
Read 2 times. Last read February 1, 2018.

This is INSANE. I love it.

Seriously, this is in the top 5 audiobooks I've ever listened to.

Why?

First of all, it's read by Eddie Redmayne who played Newt Scamander in the movie.

He read the more recent version (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Illustrated Edition) so it really felt like "the author" was reading us a copy of his personal book - simply fabulous!

(Aside: could you imagine getting Emma, Rupert and Daniel to read their parts from the original? That would be just too awesome)

Second of all, Every animal came with side effects. And we're not just talking about an unicorn whinny or a dragon roar.

If a creature lived in the jungle - there's monkeys chattering and trees rustling.

If the creature hatches from an egg - there will be eggs cracking in the background.

There's one creature that does not make a sound until its death - and we actually hear the cacophony of noise.

This was such a quick read (only 2 hours) but it was SO much fun. I always love it when the audiobook creator put forth so much effort into a book.

This really felt like a whole new way to experience this book!

LOVED it!! (I mentioned that already...didn't I? Oh well, I double-loved this one!)

The 2018 PopSugar Reading Challenge - A book mentioned in another book

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)

message 1: by AoF (new)

AoF Wow, I might just have to give this a listen! Wonderful review!

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Swoon....Eddie Redmayne! Great review, Miranda!

message 3: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Aranda I was wondering if this book would be worth it since it's a shorter book.

message 4: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Great review, Miranda - so glad you enjoyed listening to this one! 😊

message 5: by Erin-Elizabeth (new)

Erin-Elizabeth Love Eddie Redmayne! This sounds a-maz-ing!

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Nice review, Miranda!

message 7: by Miranda (last edited Feb 09, 2018 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miranda Reads Kat wrote: "Wow, I might just have to give this a listen! Wonderful review!"

You really should! I missed the pictures from the illustrated version but this one was wonderful in its own way

Miranda Reads Tammy wrote: "Swoon....Eddie Redmayne! Great review, Miranda!"

I knowwwwww! And he used his Newt Scamander voice!

Miranda Reads Rachel wrote: "I was wondering if this book would be worth it since it's a shorter book."

audiobook - rent it. It's cool to listen to, but not one I'd listen to over and over

Illustrated book - def buy if you are a HP fan. Love the illustrations!

Miranda Reads Jaline wrote: "Great review, Miranda - so glad you enjoyed listening to this one! 😊"

thanks :) it was so well done!

Miranda Reads Erin-Elizabeth wrote: "Love Eddie Redmayne! This sounds a-maz-ing!"

totally was! I couldn't believe how much effort was put into such a short audiobook!

Miranda Reads Diane wrote: "Nice review, Miranda!"

Hollybooks Wow! It sounds great! I NEED to give it a listen! Lovely review Miranda :-)

Miranda Reads Hollybooks wrote: "Wow! It sounds great! I NEED to give it a listen! Lovely review Miranda :-)"

You totally should :) it was full production quality for a mini companion novel!

Miranda Reads Maddie wrote: "Stunning review, Miranda So glad you loved :) xx"

thanks Maddie :) this was a great one!

message 16: by Joey (new)

Joey Is the book better than the film?

Miranda Reads Oh no, of course not :P but it is a close second :)

message 18: by Joey (new)

Joey Miranda wrote: "Oh no, of course not :P but it is a close second :)"

Interesting. I tried watching the film three times and couldn't get into it. I've seen all the HP movies and I think Goblet is my favorite. I will admit, I never read the last Harry Potter book.

Miranda Reads Joey wrote: "Miranda wrote: Interesting. I tried watching the film three times and couldn't get into it. I've seen all the HP movies and I think Goblet is ..."

Omg. Goblet is totally my fave too. It's the last happy book of the series! The remaining ones are too sad and too many of my fave characters pass :(

message 20: by Joey (new)

Joey Miranda wrote: "Joey wrote: "Miranda wrote: Interesting. I tried watching the film three times and couldn't get into it. I've seen all the HP movies and I think Goblet is ..."

Omg. Goblet is totally my fave too. ..."

If you think that is sad, you should try to read Infinite Jest.

Miranda Reads ... is that one sadder?

message 22: by G.H. (last edited Feb 12, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

G.H. Eckel i love audio books. Hearing Eddie reprise his role from the movie in this audio book would be a treat. thanks for the review!

message 23: by Joey (new)

Joey Miranda wrote: "... is that one sadder?"

message 24: by G.H. (new)

G.H. Eckel It's the most polarizing and life-changing book I've ever read and helped me beat alcoholism."

thanks so much for the info about Infinite Jest. I never heard of it but will be reading it soon.

Li'l Owl Excellent review, Miranda! I'm slow to the party on this one but better late than never! I had heard of this book but I hadn't looked at it carefully as I was thinking it was written like the eighth book, HP and the Cursed Child, a screenplay. I have it but it didn't get good reviews so I probably won't read it.

I'm very happy to discover that I'm wrong! I absolutely LOVE audiobooks so this is a must listen for me, especially after reading your review! Thanks very much!! =o)
I did order the book as it would be missing among my other HP books. This, I believe, is part of a bookaholic and HP fan mentality, but there you go.

message 26: by Li'l Owl (last edited Jun 08, 2018 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Li'l Owl Wow! I just listened to the sample of the audiobook! I'm already hooked by the first sentences AND the sound of the beast! Yikes!!
Thanks again, Miranda for bringing this audiobook to my attention!! xx

Quick question. I'm still reading the last few HP @ Hogwarts. Should I finish them before listening to this one? Thanks, Miranda!

Miranda Reads Li'l Owl wrote: "Thanks again, Miranda for bringing this audiobook to my attention..."

Love that you love audiobooks too!

Since fantastic beasts is a textbook, you can read it whenever you like. It is a fun diversion (only 2 hrs of audio) and it doesn't spoil anything. So go for it if you want or wait. Up to you.

The fully illustrated version is pretty darn cool. I read both versions recently and it's honestly a tie between the versions

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura N. I don't like audiobooks but I'd listen to Eddie's voice all day.

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat Ooo.. nice review. I wasn't sure I was going to try this one since it wasn't a story format but maybe now I should... if only for the awesome audiobook...

message 30: by Lex (new)

Lex Kent Great review:)

Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await* Great review. I'm not a fan of audio books but you're making me want to listen to the audio of this one. :D

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ I read the book as a physical copy but maybe I'll have to try the audio. I do want to hear those sound effects :)

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel This audiobook was great. It's like a bedtime story and Eddie is superb.

message 34: by KAS (new)

KAS So glad this audio listen was so much fun for you, Miranda ;) Wonderful review!! 💚❤️💚

Charity Agreed! LOVED this audiobook! <3

message 36: by Riana (new) - added it

Riana Oh I didn’t know Eddie Redmayne narrated the audiobook, it sounds great, I’ll have to listen to it!

Miranda Reads Laura wrote: "I don't like audiobooks but I'd listen to Eddie's voice all day."

He's absolutely perfect

Miranda Reads Kat wrote: "Ooo.. nice review. I wasn't sure I was going to try this one since it wasn't a story format but maybe now I should... if only for the awesome audiobook..."

Highly, highly recommended for the audiobook

Miranda Reads Lex wrote: "Great review:)"

Miranda Reads Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await* wrote: "Great review. I'm not a fan of audio books but you're making me want to listen to the audio of this one. :D"

It was just pure fun! Definitely check it out

Miranda Reads Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ wrote: "I read the book as a physical copy but maybe I'll have to try the audio. I do want to hear those sound effects :)"

TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Miranda Reads Rachel wrote: "This audiobook was great. It's like a bedtime story and Eddie is superb."

He really did give it an extra bit of charm!

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "So glad this audio listen was so much fun for you, Miranda ;) Wonderful review!! 💚❤️💚"

Miranda Reads Charity wrote: "Agreed! LOVED this audiobook! <3"

It was absolutely excellent!

Miranda Reads Riana wrote: "Oh I didn’t know Eddie Redmayne narrated the audiobook, it sounds great, I’ll have to listen to it!"

It was absolutely awesome!!

message 46: by Carla (new)

Carla SOLD...... I’m listening to this one next, thanks.

message 47: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash I don't usually purchase audiobooks, but this one sounds like a winner! Thanks for your great review, Miranda!!!

message 48: by Pizza (new)

Pizza Face Great review. 😉

DragonEnder312 Paperback is really good (might be better )

DragonEnder312 I should try Audio