Anita's Reviews > Close to the Edge

Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder

liked it
bookshelves: arc, romantic-supense

I have no idea why I requested a book that is #5 in an ongoing series. I usually don't drop into a series like this. But, I have to confess, this isn't the first time. Some have turned out great: Tracers Series by Laura Griffin and Midnight Man Series by Lisa Marie Rice are two where that worked out really, really well. Will this one? Let's read the book and see.

Well, "Close to the Edge" was not a book you want to drop into a series with. First off, my ARC started on Chapter 2. What the what? The publisher made no effort to correct this. Second, because I started with Chapter 2, I felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole. I had no idea what was happening, to whom or why. I didn't know if it was the Chapter thing, dropping into the series at book 5 or if the book was just plain lousy. I've decided the book is just plain lousy for the first half at least. After that I sorta figured out what was what, but it didn't help by that time. I will say that I really liked the heroine, Jenna. She took her own Alice down the rabbit hole experience and dug deep to make a difference and win the hero, Dare's, heart. After reading the whole book, I found the first chapter at the very end. Oh, well.

There are a lot of characters and plot lines from the previous books, so this is really not a book to start with in the series. The Shadow Ops Team is a special group of Federal Agents tasked with pursuing the baddies who think they are untouchable. In "Close to the Edge" Jenna is caught up when the team goes after a baddie, Kirkland. She has a real "lust at first sight" reaction to Agent Dare, who feel likewise, but doesn't want any relationship, especially with his witness. These two can really ignite the pages with their passion, which was the best feature of the book. The plot was predictable and very disjointed with the omnipotent POV.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close to the Edge.

January 30, 2018 – Shelved