tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > The Music of Arnold Schoenberg Volume Eight

The Music of Arnold Schoenberg Volume Eight by Arnold Schoenberg

bookshelves: music

review of
The Music of Arnold Schoenberg Volume Eight
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - October 26, 2011

I only personally have volumes 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, & 8 in my collection so I'm unsure about the overall series but it seems to me that the series 'wound down' as it went along. Volumes 5, 6, & 7 (at least) no longer have bklts w/ the records & volume 8's bklt is considerably smaller (25pp) than those of volumes 2 & 3.

NONETHELESS, as a scholarly document this is still valuable. The complete text of "Von Heute auf Morgen" ("From Today 'til Tomorrow"), Schoenberg's 1928 one act comedic opera, is presented in both German & English - & that constitutes the majority of the bklt. But there're also more brief discussions by conductor Robert Craft of the other pieces on the 2 records: "De Profundis", "Modern Psalm", "Six Pieces for Male Chorus", "Eleven Choral Canons" (a collection seemingly especially compiled here), & "Concerto for Cello and Orchestra (after Monn)". Most of the work is probably in the category of 'little known' making any elucidation of it useful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Music of Arnold Schoenberg Volume Eight.

Started Reading