Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*'s Reviews > Lord of the Pies

Lord of the Pies by Nell Hampton

The first Kensington Palace Chef Mystery, Kale to the Queen, established newcomer Private Chef Carrie Ann Cole into the kitchen for the Royal Family at Kensington Palace. In that book characters were introduced and setting established, but even though I recommend usually reading sequels in order, this one will serve fine to read out of sync if you only have the follow-up book.

Carrie is no longer a newbie to the kitchen but she’s still making waves and battling the lead head chef, this time through a cooking contest that’s filmed for charity on TV. When murder takes place and fingers start pointing toward Carrie’s pie, she has to solve the crime not only to clear up her reputation, but to prevent the body count from climbing. There’s multiple murders in this one, which pushes the mystery and the clues out through action rather than just introspective dialogue and detective skills. Carrie has clearly become a better detective since her first crime, but she still depends on the interesting and somewhat colorful staff in the Royal Palace.

As with most cozies, the violence isn’t graphic and there is humor. For the foodie fans, this is among the best since it digs into detail on various recipes, emphasizes all sorts of dishes and types, and gives a generous portion of recipes at the end of the book.

Must try that pie!

As with the first novel, while the mystery is interesting enough to dig into, it’s the setting and the characters who really bring out the novel’s memorable flavor. The budding romance isn’t cheesy but it’s certainly plausible, Carrie is likable as a heroine, and the staff she employs shows realistic hardships when it comes to finding dependable chefs who put up with difficult situations.

Fortunately this one didn’t let the reader sit too long either, dishing out more action that I figured it would. I didn’t guess the villains exactly, but the twists weren’t a huge surprise – although there were some things that made me raise my eyebrows and layered the motive behind the poisonings more than I expected.

If you’re a fan of cozies that retain cute humor but that avoid going overboard on being too cutesy, that keep some realism and seriousness mixed into the story – you’ll like this one. Top it off with recipes and a genuine enthusiasm for cooking, and you’ll see why Carrie is so cherished among the Royal Palace staff.

Received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Pies.

January 30, 2018 – Shelved
February 1, 2018 – Started Reading
February 2, 2018 –
30.0% "Despite it being used as a murder weapon, now I'm craving pie."
February 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

James great review! I just finished it.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* James wrote: "great review! I just finished it."

Thanks James, hope you enjoyed it too

message 3: by Rita (new)

Rita Wonderful review! You are so right about everyone needing a cozy mystery series to turn to and I have several. Right now I am on a strict no new series diet.

James I’ve been on that diet before!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Ah yes the no-new series diet --- I always fail that sort of thing, much like real life food diets lol