Akilah's Reviews > A Girl Like That

A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena

bookshelves: approved, 2019, 59, dec, cover-love, poc

3.5 stars, rounding up

I love that this book is about girls' rage and anger at living in a deeply patriarchal society that has clear and (as always) hypocritical double standards. I also like that their responses aren't necessarily pretty or good but that they fall within the realms of their control (like Mishal's gossip Tumblr or Zarin pushing the limit with boys).

The cover--though a stunner and not inaccurate--is a bit misleading. This is not a happy nor light-hearted story as the pink would suggest. In fact, when I read the prologue, I almost set it aside because I was expecting something a little frothier. I'm glad I didn't since I wound up quite invested in the characters in the story, but that's just a heads up for anyone considering the book.

My biggest issue with the book is the ending. I didn't love it, and, in fact (view spoiler) It felt like a cop out, and I thought both characters deserved better.

Still, I rounded up the rating because it didn't make me hate the book; it actually made me wish the book were longer so more of those issues could be explored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Like That.

January 30, 2018 – Shelved