Jordan Boone's Reviews > The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust

The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn Beer

U 50x66
Oct 26, 2011

Recommended for: anyone
Read from October 02 to 07, 2011

This unique topic drew me in. The issues of the book really intrigued me. At first I thought it would just be about Edith Hahn Beer's life being married to a Nazi officer, but it delves much more into the Holocaust than that. This shows an unusual way one Jewish woman survived World War II.
Though the diction and sentence structure is relatively easy to read (despite the few German words woven into the sentences), I love how the book really engulfs you in the way the world was in the 1930s and 1940s. A connection can be made with Edith as her world crumbles and she loses her family and the love of her life, Pepi, due to the war, even if you've never experienced it. The engrossment is subtle, as I only realized it when I turned the last page and was crushed when I realized that was the end. The most astonishing part of the novel is realizing how much Edith's life changes from the beginning to the end, seemingly unrealistic and incomprehensible.

In all, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, as it will grow on you as you read about Edith Hahn Beer's incredible journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nazi Officer's Wife.

12/12/2016 marked as: read