Allison's Reviews > Not the Girls You're Looking For

Not the Girls You're Looking For by Aminah Mae Safi

4209176

liked it
bookshelves: diverse-reads, netgalley, poc-protagonist

So clearly I'm in the minority so far, but this book was like a 2.75/3 stars for me.

First off, what I did like:
1) Yay, a Muslim main character! Well, a 16 year old high school girl who just happens to be Muslim and fasting for Ramadan.
2) The culturally blended family! Lulu's mom is white and southern, and I love the way that she... seemingly gracefully and like a normal human person... takes on and supports the culture of her husband's family, even though she's not fully included
3) The MC who feels in between - never fully American and never fully part of her father's culture either
4) The Arabic. There's the actual text of Muslim prayers in Arabic written out, and short explanations family traditions that have been syncretized. There's also a lot of greeting and small discussions in Arabic, which are only partially translated (a good thing).

In terms of diversity and representation, this book was a total win. It was subtle - it wasn't like some other books, where the author/MC is like hey, here's a book about the challenges of being a Muslim teenager. This was a book about a very believable teenager who happened to be Muslim, so many of the background details of her life were influenced by that fact.

Anyway, what I didn't like as much: I was bored. For more than 3/4 of the book. It was just too much teenage angst and friendship complication for me. I really liked the first 10% and the last 10%, but the middle... I found myself skimming and wishing it were over. I usually love YA, but this was more... teenagery... than I am used to. So it wasn't for me. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to someone who was actually in high school, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not the Girls You're Looking For.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved