Becca von Zweck's Reviews > Glass Sword

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

bookshelves: books-i-own, favorites, young-adult

I was nervous to start this one because I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on it and the following book in the series. Although it got off to a bit of a slow start, I can still say that this was one hell of a sequel! I'm still in shock over Maven's reveal of his true character at the end of Red Queen. I genuinely loved him as a character and was devastated and shocked by his betrayal. So the entire time I was reading this book, I was still reeling from that turn of events, even though I read the first book several months ago. As for the other characters, they sure love to piss me off. Especially Cal. I mean, what is his problem?! I guess it's not his fault he grew up privileged and was raised to believe the things that he does but still, I feel like he should know better by now. I had no idea why he was so reluctant to be a part of Mare's cause. Where else did he expect to go after being exiled? Poor boy really needs to get his head out of his...er...nether regions.

There are a lot of new character introductions in this sequel but it isn't too hard to keep track. I tell them apart by their many different powers. Then there's characters we were introduced to in the first book like Farley and Kilorn. I love Kilorn, honestly. He's a good friend although he can be a bit pigheaded sometimes. I didn't understand a lot of his frustrations towards Mare. I guess a lot of it had to do with jealousy of her relationship with Cal, and the recognition she got for her powers and the new status it gave her? Who knows. Even though he made me mad at times, he's still one of my faves. Farley I found a little harder to like. She's just a bit...rough around the edges. But she's tough and a fighter, so I admire that about her. Then there's Mare's brother Shade, who we only met briefly in book one. He and Mare are close in age and therefore have a very tight relationship and I loved seeing them reunited and working together to combat Maven and his new tyrannical ways.

Mare really steps up in book two. She twice as bad-ass and full of so much anger and determination that lends her the bravery she needs to lead a rebellion. Even if she spends half the book mourning "the Maven she thought she knew." Me too, Mare. Me too. I can't say I blame her. I still am holding out hope that he'll redeem himself somehow. I've been hoping this whole time that his mothers control over him was the sole reason for his evilness and malicious ways...but it's obvious now that he's mostly in control of his own actions and corrupt ways. At least I think. I mean, now that I've finished Glass Sword and a certain...factor...is out of the equation, I feel like there's less reasons to come to his defense.

Maven definitely doesn't get any better in book two, that's for sure. His actions get a whole lot worse. But....I just can't bring myself to believe that everything he and Mare had was false. That it was all just an act. Maybe he really was just THAT good at pretending...but I haven't forgotten that one part at the end of Red Queen when Mare thought she glimpsed a spark of regret in Maven's eyes. I'm holding on to that, however ridiculously optimistic it may be.

There was this one scene near the end of the book that completely shattered me and I still have not recovered. I honestly just...did not expect that to happen so soon. It was really unexpected. And don't even get me started on that cliff hanger ending! I'm glad book 3 is already out but I'm going to put off reading it until the 4th and final book is closer to release date!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass Sword.

Started Reading