MC's Reviews > The Fifth Season

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

3919976

I’m a real Grinch when it comes to science fiction and fantasy. I’m always willing to take a chance on the genre but find myself disappointed by boring medieval magicks or tongue-tying cyber talk that feels super made-up, hokey and lame. Which is why I was really surprised when The Fifth Season, a high-fantasy epic about the end of the world, captured my undivided attention.

In The Fifth Season, tribes of people live on a supercontinent that is constantly being threatened by ongoing earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural calamities. Their survival depends on a much-feared and derided group called Orogenes; people with the ability to control and manipulate the energy of the earth. Jemisin’s book is structured so wholly and completely that it eases the reader into a world that feels grounded in reality rich with culture, history and language.

Her characters are mutli-layered, complex, and sometimes deeply unlikable yet sympathetic. Jemisin also doesn’t hand-feed or over-explain to the reader all the nuanced exchanges between characters, which makes interpreting their interactions SO much fun. And, she writes about sexuality and gender in such a fluid, natural way that I never feel like she’s congratulating herself on being inclusive – it was just another holistic part of the book.

As a reader of some YA fantasy, I do have a mild fatigue of the elemental powers trope. There’s always a set of tribes and they’re always responsible for the tides or terraforming or [insert other elemental thing here]. But controlling the planet’s elements is really only a small part of Jemisin’s book. I ended up loving this book so much I bumped another book on my TBR to pick up the second book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Season.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved