C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Poet X

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2019, young-adult

I knew I'd love this one!! I just needed !! to hurry up !! and read it. (Wow I am just so behind on so many releases.) This was so heartfelt and emotional, I just truly felt my soul flooded with feelings, hopeful ones and hurt ones. It's the kind of book that can brilliantly draw you in and paint you a whole world of feelings with just a few lines. The author is a master with words and these skills...I just. It's such a good book.

I didn't realise this was going to be an exploration of religion (shh no i forget to read blurbs and it pains me daily) and that's honestly a topic I usually avoid. My teen years were heavily religious too and there was a lot of input into my life that I regret now. (But didn't know to regret then.) I loved watching Xiamora explore her feelings about religion, feel clamped into silence and shamed for not conforming how her mother demanded her to. I also liked that it didn't put a big X over religion or the church. It drew a very clear line between the mother's fanaticism (she was abusive too ngl) vs the kind priests guidance and counsel. The ending broke me, but then...it threaded through hope. (view spoiler)

I loved the relationships and friendships so so strongly. Like the Xiamora's love and protection of her softest queer (super closeted too because of their parents) brother and her hard-headed but loving best friend. And also Aman! I mean, he was dubious, in the way teen boys are. But I did like him. Also Isabel was a gift and I would take a whole book about her thx.

And the writing? Beautiful. Powerful. It evoked images with mere sentences and it was so easy to be caught up in the turmoil and emotion of Xiamora's thoughts. I ached with her, I wanted to cry at the ending. I want this girl to grow up and be proud of her voice, her thoughts, her decisions. I just *clenches fist* felt things.

Ok so I definitely recommend this one. !!! just in case the gushing was too subtle!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poet X.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved
January 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 24, 2019 – Started Reading
May 24, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star
May 24, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 24, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
May 24, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Rodoreads This is one of my favourite poetry books of all time 😍