Iris's Reviews > One Dark Throne

One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake

bookshelves: dark-and-stabby, fantasy, read-in-2018, 4-stars
Recommended for: Fans of dark fantasy.

4.5

I really like this series. It's intense and dark, and also refreshingly different.

It's so easy to get lost in these books. I wouldn't say the writing is anything special, but it's so easy to read, and it just sweeps you along and makes it easy to immerse yourself in the story.

The world building is fantastic! I love fennibern (I can't spell it, but I love it). I love the way the society has been so perfectly crafted. I love all the different magical powers. I love the elementalists, and the naturalists, and the poisoners. I LOVE what we've seen of the war gift, and I want to know more. I love the slightly spooky aura of the island. It's just such a wonderfully created world.

Th plot is super intense. It's dark, and it always had me on the edge of my seat. Nobody ever felt quite safe, and there were a couple of twists that left me reeling.
That said, it was actually a bit predictable. There were a couple of twists that shocked me, and a couple that I completely saw coming. Not a big problem, but it did take away from my enjoyment a tiny bit.

The character development was great. I really like most of these characters, and they had some great development in this one. And also Just love them.
I love Mirabella so much. She's just so sweet, and wonderful!
I quite like Arsinoe, and she has some great development, and she's a really god character in general.
Jude is another favourite. She's so badass and amazing!
Although Josef... (view spoiler)
And then there's Katherine. I honestly sort of hate her. Oops. But umm... I just never liked her, and she just got worse in this one. (view spoiler)

Anyways, overall this book was amazing! I would highly recommend this series, and can I please have book three now? Please?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dark Throne.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved
January 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 18, 2018 – Started Reading
April 18, 2018 –
page 1
0.22% "I'm trying to convince myself to read this instead of running off to the library to pick up my new, more exciting holds. I'm succeeding, if barely."
April 18, 2018 – Shelved as: dark-and-stabby