Bradley's Reviews > Akata Witch

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor

bookshelves: 2018-shelf, fantasy, ya

What can I say? It felt very much like book one of Harry Potter in terms of plot and situation, only milder and set in Nigeria.

It shouldn't have felt milder. Objectively, there were child mutilations and a serial murderer on the loose. And there wasn't some gigantic castle with enchantments up to protect the students. So theoretically, if I were one of these four kids, I'd be creaming my pants.

Brushing that aside, the setting is deeply fascinating to me, with magics very tied to the place and culture, with masks and masquerades and local spirits and demons and angels. The magic system was solid and cool, as were all the magical beasties.

I didn't even mind the mirroring of HP elements popping up like clockwork... like everywhere... I just let myself enjoy the magic, the discovery, and the coming of age.

Sometimes that's all you need to do. :) I think I might like to continue with the series. It's a comfortable, familiar ride, but just off the beaten path.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Akata Witch.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved
January 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 20, 2018 – Started Reading
February 21, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-shelf
February 21, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 21, 2018 – Shelved as: ya
February 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

[Name Redacted] I didn't even consider this as a read for my "Black History Month 2018" project until i saw you were reading it -- it just registered as urban-fantasy in my mind. XD

Bradley LOL, well yeah, it certainly fits the bill. :)

message 3: by Stefanie (new) - added it

Stefanie So if you haven't read Harry Potter (yes, we exist, lol) do you think it'll be a better read?

[Name Redacted] Ha ha, given that Rowling was distilling even older tropes when she struck oil at the right time... ;)

Bradley WELL, I'm still a fan of Harry Potter, regardless of the even older tropes.

Akata Witch is a weird mixture. The kids are jaded. Like, a lot more jaded than in HP. The sense of wonder isn't exactly missing, but the feeling is strange.

No. I still think HP is better, and this is coming from a reader that was fully skeptical and looking for things to pounce upon when reading HP the first time. :)

[Name Redacted] Bradley wrote: "WELL, I'm still a fan of Harry Potter, regardless of the even older tropes.

Are they more or less jaded than the loathsome "protagonists" of Lev Grossman's "The Magicians"?

Bradley LESS. So much less. Not world weary, just head in the sand "oh this is the world we live in".

[Name Redacted] GOOD. Otherwise, I would have had to give this a pass.

Bradley If I had assumed the same, I would have, too. :)

Brenda A This is precisely how I felt reading it too! It SCREAMS Harry Potter but I didn't hate it at all

Bradley I'm glad because I didn't hate it at all, either! :) :)

HP for the win! lol ;P