Bookworm1858's Reviews > Eddie's War

Eddie's War by Carol Fisher Saller

Oct 26, 2011

bookshelves: ya-read, historical-fiction, read-2011, netgalley

I must admit that I entered this book skeptically seeing that it was laid out in what looked like verse and my skepticism increased as I realized how short each chapter was and how short the book overall was. How could it possibly develop any characters or themes with such little time? Well, if you saw my star review up there, you'd see that Saller succeeded admirably and left me blinking back some tears because the characters did get under my skin and make me care.

This book is a historical novel set in small-town Illinois before and during WWII. Eddie is just a young boy living on a farm with his family but over the years he sees some things. Such as the Polish gypsy Jozef who is viewed with suspicion by the neighbors; such as his abusive grandfather; such as his older brother and friends going off to war; such as the mysteries of girls; such as standing up for what is right.

This book touches on everything; some books would cover the same events in 500 pages and not pack such an emotional punch. The humor, the sadness, the randomness of life all conveyed in this small package with lovely writing. And it left me with tears in my eyes from the feelings it evoked. Somewhat sadness over some of the events, somewhat sadness that the book was over, but mostly happy tears over a sweet story.

Overall: Highly recommended historical fiction novel for all.

Tip: A great, quick read that will touch your heart AND add another book to you read list for the year!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eddie's War.