Andi's Reviews > Shatter

Shatter by Elizabeth C. Mock

Oct 26, 2011

Read in January, 2011

As many people have experienced in the past few years, coming off the Harry Potter series has left much to be desired regarding many of the other fantasy books out there. I have had a very difficult time finding something that gives me that fix of excitement, intrigue and character likability that HP did. I hate comparing, but what else is one to do when you know the feeling you get from a great series and nothing else you've read comes close? I actually got Shatter for my NooK because it was either $1.99 or free and I thought I'd give it a shot. I was greatly surprised by not only the quality of writing for a first book, but I thought the story was very well put together, kept moving, and kept me interested, and the characters were diverse, likeable, and believable. I have not come across a book that has been anything but simply entertaining or "okay" for a long time. This story surpassed my expectations. I am looking forward to the second one. If you are looking for a new fantasy read that delivers, I would recommend this book. I would compare it to the feeling of reading the Shannara books by Terry Brooks. While I am sure the Shatter series will not be written in epic proportions like the Shannara collection, I was equally impressed with Shatter as I was when I read my first Shannara book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter.