Elisabeth P. Comet Readings's Reviews > Next Year in Havana

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton

Next Year in Havana is an extraordinary and passionate book and a rollercoaster of emotions.

With this book, Chanel Cleeton delivers a poignant, resonant, and unforgettable novel about love, painful losses, sacrifices, and courage at different times of the Cuban history thanks to an engaging narration that alternates memories of Elisa’s past and the present life of her granddaughter, Marisol.

After Elisa’s death, Marisol decides to honor her last wish and take Abuela’s ashes to Cuba, where her heart belonged. She arrives in Havana that is the same but also a completely different place from Elisa’s happy memories.

Marisol can perfectly recognize all the places her grandmother described along the years, but she also finds a country that pays the price of a totalitarian regime, from which her family escaped sixty years before.

In a foreign country, completely different from hers, Marisol, will finally find out the secrets of a young Elisa, one of the Perez sisters, a girl who was not prepared for such hard times to come, in a country where everything was political.

In Next Year in Havana, you can feel the strong emotions of the very well described and rounded characters. With a familiar, passionate and sometimes harsh tone, Chanel Cleeton perfectly describes how much Marisol loves and wants to preserve her legacy as American-Cuban.

Through Elisa’s memories, Marisol has learned so much about Cuba, its places, traditions, and the sacrifices because of the communist regime. Even if being a Perez has protected her family from many difficulties during the Batista’s years, the revolution arrived with a high price to pay.

During her journey in Havana, Marisol can finally put all the fragments of those memories together and unravel the mystery of past secrets covered with cold earth years before.

I loved every page of this book, and I eagerly await Chanel Cleeton’s next novel.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I also posted my review at CometReadings.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Next Year in Havana.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved