Joanna Larum's Reviews > Dark Angel

Dark Angel by Helen H. Durrant

This is the first novel I have read by Helen H. Durrant and I have to say it's a massive hit with me. I looked at some reviews before I started it, some saying you need to read the other books in the series first and others saying it's a stand-alone. I thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't miss the information from the earlier books, BUT I will be going back to read the 3 before this one.
The story takes the reader from a muddy ditch, to a council estate in Manchester, to a posh area in Cheshire and finally to a garage in Poland. Each area adds to the story and what could be a convoluted plot is simple to follow, even though the reader feels battered by the number of twists. The outcome is a revelation, although I did notice that clues to it had been laid before me - I wasn't clever enough to decipher them.
Now for the characters - Detective Inspector Greco I liked him and felt sympathy for him on a human level. He is totally out of his comfort zone having a pregnant girlfriend and is too easily manipulated by all the women in his life - even his daughter. As a professional, he is a perfectionist and I don't find anything wrong with that.
Grace, his policewoman girlfriend, is unsure of his feelings and desperate to be his partner, although I wonder if she is doomed to disappointment.
The baddies - and there are numerous baddies - are very well-drawn with a cold-hearted top man who seems to run the whole of a section of Manchester, along with a number of more youthful offenders who often end up becoming the corpses.
If you like police procedural crime stories with a twisting storyline you will love this. Prepare for your mind to be stretched and blown!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Angel.

January 26, 2018 – Started Reading