Michelle's Reviews > Freshwater

Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi

Freshwater is the semi-autobiographical account of a young woman suffering from multiple personality disorder after a traumatic event. Steeped in Igbo tradition the main character Ada lives a life straddling two worlds. As the daughter of the serpent goddess Ala, she is born with “one foot on the other side” occupying the liminal spaces between the spirit realm and the flesh. What is the cause of her fractured self? Is she possessed or is she mad? What is reality? Can we accept both of these as plausible explanations?

In this rich and mystical novel Emezi explores self-identity, human frailty, sacrifice and resurrection. Freshwater is such an innovative work, the majority of which is narrated by the spirits that inhabit Ada. It is not often that you come across a book that is written so eloquently, that touches your soul in the deep parts and leaves you breathless. This is why we read books.

I would like to thank Grove Atlantic Press and Akwaeke Emezi for an advanced reader’s edition of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freshwater.

January 29, 2018 – Shelved
February 12, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 19, 2018 – Shelved as: best-book-of-the-year
February 19, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-popsugar-challenge
March 16, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-womens-prize-long

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Wonderful review, Michelle!

Michelle Diane wrote: "Wonderful review, Michelle!"

Thank you Diane. I am so glad I came across this title in Buzz Books.

message 3: by Joan (new) - added it

Joan Nice review, as I was tootling across campus this a.m. I heard part of an interview with the author on NPR. She is an interesting woman so I was glad to see your recommendation for her book. Now I know it is worth reading.

Michelle Now I have to find that interview. Let's get together when you read it so we can talk about it.

message 5: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Great review, Michelle—thanks! I just downloaded the audiobook, which the author reads herself, and am excited , if also a bit nervous, to listen to it.