Elise (TheBookishActress)'s Reviews > I Am Still Alive

I Am Still Alive by Kate Alice Marshall

I feel like three stars always look a little weird, so let me clarify that this is a positive three-star rating. This is a compelling survival story that is marketed as a revenge story and I just… didn’t get exactly what I was hoping. But let’s be real, this was still entertaining.

So, my main thought about this is that this is very well-written, but it's essentially just a survival story and doesn't go much beyond.

Maybe my main problem was that… I just didn’t get exactly what I wanted? The revenge element is there, but it’s very low on intrigue and definitely not the main plot point. We don’t even see the lead plotting revenge until like page 200, and in a book where the marketing that caught me was Revenge, this was disappointing.

But on a counterexample, it was the plot that kept me reading - survival stories are always fun for me. I binged this in a day. And yeah, as survival stories go, it didn’t do anything new, but it didn’t have to. Survival stories are great and always have been and always will remain so, so who really cares?

I mean, I guess it made the book a little less entertaining for me. I did not find the main character, Jess, particularly compelling on her own, which is something that tends to really set survival stories apart for me. Jess has a disability and the narrative does a really good job with it!! But that was kind of… the whole list of everything that set the story apart.

But... it was still an interesting, quick read. I wouldn't rush to recommend but I'm certainly not going to tell you to take it off your TBR if you like survival stories.

TW: (view spoiler)

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Youtube

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Still Alive.

January 28, 2018 – Shelved
May 9, 2018 – Shelved as: books-released-2018
May 9, 2018 – Shelved as: gen-mystery-suspense
May 9, 2018 – Shelved as: that-disability-representation
May 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sanne ♔ (new) - added it

Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books) I love the cover and I've never read a survival story before, so perhaps this book is a great way to start reading those kind of stories :)

Elise (TheBookishActress) @Sanne it might be a good intro if that’s what you’re looking for! and yes, that cover is very appealing, lol.