Katie's Reviews > Two Princes of Summer

Two Princes of Summer by Nissa Leder

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks, owned, read-in-2018, 3-star-rating

It was hard for me to settle on a rating for this book. This book was exactly what I had been looking for when I picked it up, but despite that, there were enough things I disliked, that I couldn't rate it higher.

In this book, Scarlett has recently lost her mother, and she is invited to Faerie, where a prince of the Summer Court, Cade, promises he can take away her pain. Cade has ulterior motives - he feeds on human emotion in order to strengthen his fae power, which is especially important as he prepare to battle his brother for the right to be the heir of the court, and Scarlett's emotion is especially powerful for Cade. While in Faerie, Scarlett meets Cade's older half brother Raith, who is also training to keep his status as heir to the throne.

I didn't really know all that much about this book going into it (just that a girl was lured to Faerie and there were two princes there vying for her attention) but I think one of my biggest disappointments with the book was that it was practically the same story as Red Queen, which I read earlier this year and absolutely loved it. But seriously, the similarities were insane. (Spoilers from both books in the spoiler tag) (view spoiler). And maybe it's hypocritical of me to love one of them and not love the other, but I think the similarities were too close, and if I had read this one first, maybe my opinion would be different.

I also felt the characters were a bit one dimensional. I feel like there was a lot more potential with them, but it wasn't shown in this book. Now, there are other books in this series, so maybe the characters are more developed as the story continues.

As I said earlier, I did enjoy this book for what it is, and it's what I had been looking for when I picked it up. It wasn't spectacular but it kept me interested, and I wanted to know how the Right of Heir turned out. I don't think I'll continue with this series, but I don't regret reading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Princes of Summer.

January 28, 2018 – Shelved