Kirstie's Reviews > The Stone Sky

The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin

Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and waited to write this review and since have read three other books, so this won't be a perfect and thorough review thanks to time and distance.

This was a great end to a quality trilogy. The series is filled with interesting magic, societal layers and a very cool 'repeated apocalypse' concept where along with the four seasons falls (every few hundred years or so) a fifth season, a season where Father Earth tries to kill all the humans crawling around on his carapace.

As with the first two books the use of second person still irked me a bit. The ending of the book beautifully wraps up exactly why it was employed and it is a great reason but I still just can't bring myself to enjoy second person because a) the recent slew of it (probably thanks to the first book of this series award nominations/popularity and, b) rarely do the characters act/think/whatever the way *I* actually would, so being told "and so 'you' run up the stairs to get away from the murderer" breaks my willful suspension of disbeleif and actually disconnects me from the character when I should be more deeply invested than ever.

Another slight problem I had with the ending was (view spoiler) Despite that though the ending was wonderfully revelatory and suitably action packed (not in a men swinging swords around kind of way, but this book has rarely been about men swinging swords). I didn't feel like anything important was left unanswered and while I cried at two particular character deaths that's what endings are all about.

Recommended for anyone looking for something new and unique in fantasy, or at least not standard swords and sorcery - highly recommend if second person doesn't put you off.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Sky.

January 28, 2018 – Shelved