Chibineko's Reviews > The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa

Oct 25, 2011

bookshelves: aliens, cool, cute, light-novel, male-lead-character, mystery, supernatural, yen-press, young-adult
Read in October, 2011

I wasn't all that thrilled with the last book in this series, so I took a long break from reading the light novels just so I could clear my head. I have to admit that if I hadn't already had this book sitting on my shelf, I might not have started back in on the series but now I'm glad that I have. This book was far better than book three was.

What I liked most about this entry was that it addressed the idea of what would happen if Haruhi was never around. Would Kyon really be enjoying his life? Would he still be able to be around the well-endowed Asahina? What would Haruhi be like? I'm glad to say that this book showed a pretty entertaining view of another world and that it's much more engaging and fun than the previous book.

The only downfall is that due to the typical light novel length, the story didn't go into as much detail as I'd want. The alternate world does give us a great look into the main characters, but only a brief one. I kind of wouldn't mind seeing more of that world and how the characters would interact with one another. (Here's hoping that world gets a spin off much like the Evangelion series has spun off of its alternate universes.)

If you're like me and have been sitting on the fence about this book, it's worth reading and diving into the series again. If you're a fan then you've probably already got this book or have it on order. If not, then this is something you've got to have.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Hi Chibi! You may have discovered this yourself by now, but Haruhi obviously read your review because there actually is a spinoff series from "Disappearance" - "The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan" follows the characters of the Disappearance universe. It's a manga series rather than novels, it is getting English translations and releases, and there was a brief announcement last December that an anime adaptation of it is also in the works.