Heather Caliri's Reviews > Swearing Is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language

Swearing Is Good for You by Emma Byrne

This is a fascinating book--chock full of surprising research that uses swearing (a convenient inroads into our psyche and emotions) to reveal the inner workings of our brains. I appreciated the demystifying of what swearing is, and how it relates to gender, camraderie, and mental function. Still, I found myself unconvinced of Byrne's primary thesis, summed up in her title. I wished she'd explored some of the darker sides of foul language, like how its blunt edges are used by abusive people. I found myself wondering how victims in the #metoo movement see the swearing and crudity of the people who injured them. I don't find swearing generally offensive, but when it's used as aggression, or to make a work situation turn toxic, I don't think it's by accident. I wished Byrne had looked a little past the surface of how swearing functions and broken down whether or not the actual cuss words are what make abuse happen through speech.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swearing Is Good for You.

January 27, 2018 – Shelved